Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod 179 trip report - Event Date: 09 Jul 2015 - 04 Aug 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: R-Pod 179 trip report
    Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 8:53pm
I apologize if I've posted this wrong I'm learning.

Trip Report R-Pod 179 and 2015 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4

We departed Boston 7/9 and returned 8/4 of 26 days we camped 21 we drove 6,900 miles about 5,500 towing the R-pod.​ The route was Boston, Rifle Gap State Park Colorado, Steamboat Lake State Park Colorado, Gros Ventre Campground GTNP and Madison Campground YNP. The R-pod weighed about 3,300 lbs. (just an estimate) for most of the time it was being towed. 

The R-pod was purchased new in June as I described in an earlier post we had a few problems due to a less than stellar delivery by the dealer but on this trip only a couple of minor glitches namely an intermittent refrigerator light and a noisy brake. However after our last night camping the battery refused to take a charge from either the TV or the converter and remains completely dead. I was a little nervous about this as I know break away brake requires power to work but getting a new battery on the road was not an acceptable option. The 179 is perfect for the 2 of us easy to tow fits nicely into tight campsites and the bed is very comfortable (we are both short 5"1 and 5"6). R-pod score 9 out of 10.

The TV performed better than I expected. First understand I have spent the last 50 years getting paid to fly corporate jets and helicopters which means speed for me is in the sky. I drive no more than 5 MPH over the posted speed limit, yes I'm that guy you curse at on the road. Basically good solid performance 12-14 MPG towing. Good performance on the hills, we held 65 MPH on I 70 west out of Denver to Rifle if you have driven that section you will know that's pretty impressive for a V-6 towing a travel trailer. I was more worried about engine braking going downhill but it held 60 MPH in 3rd gear down the steepest hills on I-70 with only light intermittent braking.  One caveat if you frequent the mountains of the west you will probably want more power the TV was definitely working in the steepest of the Rockies so I would call it adequate but not overpowering. It would be nice if the TV had a switch to adjust the shift point for towing I found it tried to shift up to soon and waited to long to shift down so I mostly did the shifting myself in the mountains. Additionally I found the I like it better with the overdrive off when towing, again to much shifting. TV 8 out of 10

Rifle Gap, and Steamboat Lake State Parks in Colorado are outstanding as is Ridgeway State Park which we visited a few years ago. In my opinion the Colorado State Park campgrounds are the best. 

Gros Ventre in GTNP will not as modern as the colorado parks had great views and outstanding staff. However no reservations makes getting a spot tricky.

Yellowstone is my favorite park (I have gone every year for 25 years) The park is crowded but the staff was great when I told person at checkin that my son and his family would be coming in later that day he put us back to back so we could be together.

Next year maybe Boston to Alaska.

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 8:56pm
Sounds like a great trip! We really want to do an Alaska trip too!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Mountainpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 8:53pm
Ronahue, we are the couple you met in Steamboat Lakes State Park in our new 179.  Glad to hear your trip to Yellowstone went well.  Our trip in Steamboat ended well, and them the following week we met up with our kids and camped a few days.  Our rpod developed a leak in the window over the kitchen sink, and had to be dealt with.  That now repaired, looking forward to our next trip in Southwest Colorado.
Mountainpod! (Mitch and Cindy)

Mitch & Cindy
2008 Toyota 4 Runner
Rpod 179
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 9:04pm
Hi Mitch and Cindy Glad to hear your trip went well. We went on to the Tetons and Yellowstone then home. We had a few problems leaving the Tetons the right brake developed a clicking sound which I ignored arriving home I brought it to the dealers who discovered the right brake shoe had broken into several pieces after the brake adjustment mechanism failed. Additionally the battery refused to take a charge from the converter the TV or my Honda Generator. The 179 is still in the shop we hope to have it out next week and leave for Nova Scotia and PEI.

I strongly recommend Ridgeway State Park and the area around Ouray, CO while in Southwest Colorado

Hoping you have a great trip,

Ron and Sharon

Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
topher2u2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 11:43pm
Sounds like a great adventure. I'm glad to here about the state parks you stayed at here in Colorado. I'm always looking for some place new to see. 
#3PsnRPod
2016 R-Pod RP 171
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply