R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrefrigerator runs when turned off - Event Date: 02 Aug 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: refrigerator runs when turned off
    Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 3:17pm
Hi Sarah,

It depends on what he is referring to:
Their is a fan that runs to cool some parts of the unit I have been told by my dealer that the fan connects to 12 volt regardless of switch position.

The control provides 12 volt to a heater when in 12 volt operation which has the same effect as the flame when on Propane.

This is the explanation I got from my dealer you should "Ripley it".

Incidentally it has been 3 weeks and my controller has not arrived. Thankfully their is a work around.

I hope this helps.

Ronahue
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 7:39pm
Usually on RV fridges the fans are not controlled by the control board, so the dealer is right.

With a heater that is always on no matter what, it is a defective control board and not "by design".
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 6:57pm
I am new to my rpod and i noticed similarly that even with the control panel off, I was still getting cooling in the frig.  I turned of the breaker but that also turned of the inverter so my batteries no longer stayed charged even though I was on 120.   I then unplugged the frig (inside the lower black grill on the back) but the frig still stayed cool. I live in Arizona and the ambient temp has been over 100 during the day.  Could that still cause the coolant to circulate and "cool" the frig at least a little.  Seems to be the case for me, or I am at a loss as to what is going on.  The fans did not come on until I turned on the frig.  We took our maiden voyage last weekend and the batteries (2 6 volt) went dead after one day which didn't seem right either since the frig was on propane. Ended up having to jump the trailer to get the slide back in. Any thoughts anyone?  This is a used unit so I am thinking I may need to take it to the dealer and get things checked out.

2013 R178
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 7:52pm
Sounds like the DC side is staying on, which would explain the cool fridge and dead battery.  Try pulling the fuse on the converter to see if the fridge warms up.
Sarah View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 8:33pm
Well my dealer did come out and replace a circuit board in the back of my frig. Dometic support said there was a problem with some of those circuit boards. It fixed nothing. It does concern me because faulty wireing causes fires but I still use mine. It works as long as I keep it plugged into power. Still looking for a solution. Please let me know if you get it figured out and I will do the same.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 8:48pm
I would try pulling the FUSE for the 12v side of the fridge and see if it warms up..
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 10:18pm
Just checked again this evening.  The unit has been plugged into house current since we got home last night with the frig turned off.  The inside was at about 50 degrees with a little ice still in the freezer section.  There was a lot of heat coming out the top vent on the outside like something is still actively heating.  I unplugged the frig in the lower vent.  I don't know if that is 12v or 110.  I will check in the morning and see if there is any difference.  If that doesn't change anything I will figure out which fuse is for the frig.  A bit frustrating.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 8:28pm
The plug behind the fridge powers the 120 volt heater.  Assuming the 12 volt heater is the problem you'll need to pull the fuse on the converter.
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 12:16pm
Confirmed that last night as well. Since I had the plug pulled and it was still on shore power, I am sure that it is not the 110 side.  I don't have a fuse that is clearly marked as for the frig, so I will have to start pulling fuses until I find the right one. Just didn't have time last night. 
Shelpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 6:43pm
Ended up pulling fuse 7 and that turned off the fridge entirely including the heating element.  This circuit has more than just the fridge on it including the inside lights.  I have another circuit that is unwired.  Has anyone moved the fridge to that circuit?  Is there anything I should be saving it for?  Also when I pulled the fuse, the converter (fan?) immediately went off.  Not sure if this is somehow wired into that same circuit or if it is separate.  Could be just that there was no longer a draw on the battery.  Anyone know about this or how I can test it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>