R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThinking about installing this...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Don Halas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking about installing this...
    Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 2:52pm
Checking it out today, change in plans. Wiring through the external speakers will mean having to break a seal around the speaker casing.

Instead I'm going to mount above the kitchen. The slider offers an access to outside for the thermometer. There is access to the refrigerator from the outside and already a splice on the 12 volt side. So power should be a piece of cake.

Just going to be cautious how the wiring is done since I don't want any problems when the slides in motion.

Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:18pm
I ordered this through Amazon today.

Looking at the Converter specs, I think I'll connect the power right with the battery input on the back of it.  This will mean the voltage shown on the display will be the nominal battery voltage when under battery power, and the recharge voltage when hooked up to 110v ac.  That works for me as I'll be able to monitor both the battery charge level or re-charge. 

The unit is mounted with double stick tape to the wall, I'll use velcro instead.  There are two small wires; one for power and one for the external thermometer coming out of the unit.  If I mount right above the AC/Heater thermostat I'm hoping I can just run the wires though the same hole.  From there I'll run the external thermometer to the right external speaker and mount the sensor just below the speaker on the outside.

I'm planning on running a low current fuse to be on the safe side, but not a switch.  If I want to disconnect from the battery the cable easily detaches from the back of the unit and with velcro attachment it should be easy access.  Also, I'll assume at some point this device will no longer work and there will probably not be a direct replacement.  No big deal since its attached with velcro and there should be no hole drilling.

I just ordered today so I'd expect to install next weekend or the following depending on how quickly it arrives.

I'll post a follow-up with a photo once I've completed the install.
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 7:39am
Don, I think your choice is pretty neat.  I've got the same model Pod, so please post pictures when you get it mounted.
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 9:02pm
Yes, but I like the option of monitoring the battery voltage.
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 8:10pm
This is similar to what I use, and it's wireless:
http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-WS-9029U-Wireless-Weather/dp/B000EM79VC/ref=sr_1_41?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1437696579&sr=1-41&keywords=thermometer
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 7:31pm
Recently purchased a RP178 and am now in the 'customization' mode.

I wanted an inexpensive digital clock (yes, I know the microwave has a clock) and an outside thermometer.

I found the following on Amazon for $15.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6INHGI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3T95V05QKJ0CN

This looks cool; time, outside temperature, inside temperature and voltage.

Of course, my fears are wiring and running the temperature probe to the outside of the trailer.

I am thinking two ways of doing this:

1. Mounting above the AC/Heat control. The power supply should be accessible and I might run the temperature probe through the same hole that the exterior speakers use.

2. Mounting above the dinette back wall. The battery wiring harness appears to run through the front storage area. I could wire at/near the battery and run the temperature probe through that harness and attach outside.

The first method seems the best in terms of access to power and an exterior access point without drilling any new holes.

The second has better viewing of the device, but the wall is curved so that may effect the visibility of the display. Also this seems to require more rigging.

I'm thinking I should add an in-line fuse and perhaps even an on/off switch. I don't know what kind of power draw this may have and don't want it accelerating the battery drain too much.

Anyway, thoughts or guidance is appreciated.   Also, I hope you find this device as interesting as I do.

Regards and Happy Camping,

Don Halas

Post Reply Post Reply