FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWishing For -

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wishing For -
    Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:36pm
More insulation for winter camping.

Storage that turns into a bathtub.  (Well, I can hope can't I?)

Christine
Looking At RPod 179
Currently 1989 Dodge Class B
Former 1983 Chalet Aframe
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 5:56pm
You are looking at the wrong camper then. If you need heavy insulation, there are a few small campers that provided it. Lance is one.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 7:35pm
Agreed regarding winter camping.  If you're going to be on the road for a year in an RPod life will be a lot easier if you spend the winter where temps stay below freezing.  Either that or you'll need to stay in campgrounds with full-service bathhouses and winterize the pod.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
2015 Red Xterra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 8:18pm
Did I say I was going to camp in the snow?  

Was this not a wish list?

I stand by my wish.  I wish for more insulation to be warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.  Don't plan on camping in Green Bay Wisconsin in December.  Is that where you guys camp?

I'm a southern California girl with several years now experience in Colorado winters.  Don't plan on camping here in Colorado in the winter either.

Part of the cargo weight concern is making sure I have plenty of winter items.  Our mummy sleeping bags will be coming with.  That said, winter will also be paying for hookups, not boondocking.  

As for summer, I'm an Aluminet girl.  I have lots of camper window curtains and screens made out of the stuff.  Several battery operated O2Cool fans and have been known to fill a blow up kiddie pool and sit in it with a good glass of Merlot.  

Christine
Looking At RPod 179
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 2:13am
I've camped in the Smokies in the teens.  There are no hookups there, but other than electricity, you couldn't use them anyway.  You can flush with antifreeze solution, but you can't have any water in the pipes.

As for keeping yourself warm or cool (if you can use the air con), Pods are small and tight enough that they get toasty or cool quickly and easily.  Staying cozy in winter is a non-issue if you have electricity.  A 1500w space heater is all you need.  The issue, if you don't have electricity, is that the on board furnace is about as loud as a helicopter and it will run the battery down fairly quickly.  But it too warms things up fast.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 12:25am
Actually for a camper the pods have a lot of insulation.  I've seen cutouts of the walls and floors (pics posted on here in various places by members).  I've camped in 10 F weather several times and only needed a small cube heater on low to maintain 70 inside.  Granted that was in a 171 with no slide out.  For off-grid a catalytic heater would work great.

Same for summer, let me tell you how long it takes my Salem to cool down even though it has a larger A/C than the pods.  Hours to get to temperature.  I think my pod took less than 30 minutes.

The problem is the exposed tanks underneath for winter camping.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 10:18am
Looking At RPod 179

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 10:34am
I killed my water system on the Class B the first winter in Colorado (parked in the driveway).  I did not then know about draining tanks, etc.  Lesson well learned.  We always brought water in containers which stayed inside on the way and half outside during our stay.  I particularly like the 5 gallon water container on wheels.  But winter camping will be more of a challenge because, as you say, the tanks need to be drained and prepped for winter and the drinking water can't be stowed outside.  We always used the wet bath for storage in the Class B as we used a porta-potty and tent shower/toilet room.  I'll have to add insulation around the portable water coolers and be sure there is expansion room just in case.  Far too many people are doing this year round for something not to work besides the mega wheeled homes.

Looking At RPod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2015 at 11:07pm
When I did it I used the heated bath house and kept a gallon or two inside for drinking and washing hands into a portable basin. Dumped that outside. Used RV antifreeze to flush the toilet for midnight use.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
podenvy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 4:58pm
There is a mod to heat your tanks. I see pictures of it everywhere on dealer pages here. Three switches installed beside the 120 outlet right when you walk into the 179. It looks like a dealer aftermarket option. No idea if it's effective or not.

2013 FJ Cruiser + 2015 rpod 179 HRE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>