R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlease read & check your hitches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please read & check your hitches
    Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 11:22am
No I didn't.  The hitch fell over the ball and the latch locked.  Its honestly never occurred to me to raise the jackstand to ensure proper connection.  The hitch was (at least in appearance) fully over the ball and locked. 

I've reached out to Forrest River via email but I have not yet received a response.  In the meantime, I am having the hitch inspected by a local trailer shop / service center that performs state safety inspections.  Thankfully, the shop is about 1/4 mile from where I store my trailer.  

I appreciate the tip to raise the jack to verify static mating.  I've never done that before but maybe I've just been lucky with my previous trailers.  

Hoping to hear from FR this week.  
2013 178
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
leahfoo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 12:06pm
Stiff lock fixed with WD 40.
leahfoo
leahfoo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 12:26pm
WD 40 hitch latch.
leahfoo
samiam2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 1:42pm
Sorry for the delay guys.

Forest River agreed to change my coupler out with the "SAME" crappy coupler. I turned them down! I don't feel they have safety or people's life a high priority. They are a bottom line/cut cost/out source parts cheap company. Example: Steel from China - has a lot of impurities and is weak, but looks just like USA steel.

I want to feel safe driving down the road. I want to sleep at night knowing my trailer didn't come off, kill anyone, or me!

I had custom trailer and hitch place inspect and replace hitch with a bull dog hitch for $150. Ask yourself. Is it worth having Forest River replace with same cheap, faulty coupler or $150 worth knowing you can drive down the road safely!

P.S. YES, I did file a complaint (attached link to this forum) with: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/
U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration. (I also file about their axles.) 

If enough people email the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration. They will investigate!

See picture of new couple. uploads/3317/20150721_130702.jpg
mccvii View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 3:25pm
Thanks for the info Samiam.  I went to my local dealer and I didn't see any pods with the new hitch design from your photos.  The one's I checked appeared identical to what is on mine.  I have not heard back from Forest River on this but I'm kind of inclined to follow your lead.   Its a small price to pay for the security.  Plus, it was already going to cost me $100 to rebuild the coupler with new parts and another $100 to  install a new jack and safety chains.  

Definitely going to issue a complaint to DOT.  FR needs to tell us if there is a problem with the hitch/latch.  Jacking the trailer up to verify solid coupling is a good preventative step but it can't overcome faulty engineering - if that proves to be the case.  At any rate - this wasn't a cheap lesson to learn but it could have been a hell of a lot worse had the hitch decouple at 60 vs. 25.

If I end up hearing back from FR, I'll post. 
2013 178
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 4:00pm
Great info. Just called U-Haul to see about a replacement coupler. In this state, you must use a "Certified Welder," and they referred me to one. His quote to remove and install a better coupler was approx. $165. Cheap for the piece of mind. For those who might want to do it themselves, they might think twice before tackling this project. Not sure all what a "Certified Welder" qualifications are, but I would suggest, that it is certainly a safety concern. If you are going to replace your coupler, might do some investigation before plunging ahead. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
samiam2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 4:38pm
mccvii and Camper Bob,

I had a custom trailer & hitch company install the Bull Dog hitch I posted. Forest River "WILL NOT" replace coupler with a different one. They will "ONLY" replace with same coupler on trailer.

Welding certification come in many positions, metal thickness, welding process, and metal types. When the term "Certified Welder" is used it only means that welder is certified under the welding procedure that have tested under. There is not a single welding certification that covers all types of welding.
All welding certifications come in many positions. The position are different depending if the welder will be welding on plate of pipe. The terms properly used in the welding field refers to plate as "structural welding" and pipe as "pipe welding".

I'm a welding inspector for American Welding Society for oil rigs, for the last 15yrs.
Thanks,
Sam
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 5:15pm
I never am ceased to be amazed at the expertise that we have on this forum.  I am well out of warranty so would be doing this on my own.  Since FR will only replace like with like, I guess it is up to the Pod owner to belly up to the bar if he or she wishes to replace the supplied coupler with one that is more secure.  Just wanted to alert the other Podders of the importance of using a welder that is licensed to replace the coupler. Thanks for the alert. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 9:51pm
There seems to be 2 separate 'issues' here.

1. False hitches - Happened to me, my bad, prevented by watching the TV rise up.

2. Inadequate/weak hitches. R-Pods are light, I doubt if a heavy duty hitch is required, but people describe their hitches as taking a beating. Is this 'operator error' - chronically driving too fast on bumpy roads, or something else?? 

I have no complaint about the durability of my 171 hitch so far, and I've gone cross country.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 8:30am
I wonder too.  My five year old 177's hitch looks like new.  I think it is something that needs to be looked at as regular maintenance, but unless damage is found I wouldn't jump to replacing it.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>