R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew RP-178 Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RP-178 Owner
    Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 5:38pm
My son and I picked up our new 2015 RP-178 on Wednesday. Following are observations, opinions and questions. First though, my wife and I have been tent campers for over 35 years, and we’re pretty good at it. Unfortunately at mid 50’s getting in and out of a tent has become difficult so we decided to trade up rather than forgo camping.
That said, my perspective regarding the trailer is that compared to tent camping versus many critiques I read where people are attempting to replicate the comforts of home.

We purchased the trailer from Stoltzfus RV in Adamstown, PA. Simply, a good experience. Good price, good guidance, accommodating and professional. I would highly recommend them. Ask for Lee, he took good care of us.

The initial inspection of the trailer I was a little disappointed by the craftsmanship.   While the design is well thought out there are a few rough edges and it is most likely not built with the highest quality components. None the less, a good value for what we paid and our anticipated use of it. Also, quite comfortable for the anticipated two occupants with occasional guests.

We towed with a 2014 Mazda CX-9 from Pennsylvania to our home in Connecticut. I had been apprehensive about the ability of the car to handle this trailer but was assured by the Mazda dealers Service Manager it was capable. The car performed admirably on our drive home with the exception that our fuel economy dropped from 18 mpg to less than 11. We’ll have to do a few more trips and then see if any issues arise when we have the car serviced later this year.

Having already researched and reviewed a lot of blogs including this site I already had some idea of what to expect, modifications and considerations. We spent two nights at a campground near the dealer to be sure that any problems or issues could be resolved before we travelled home. We had none.

I’m 6’3” and was not uncomfortable in the Queen bed. I’ll have to see if that changes when my wife joins me on that limited space. My son, also my size said sleeping on the dining table conversion was not that comfortable so we are considering buying a mattress top which we’ll use on the bed and then when necessary we’ll transfer for our guests use on the conversion bed.

Cooking area is crowded, but we’re used to camping on the fire and using a single Coleman propane cooker. I’m not sure what to use to compliment the cooker in the trailer, perhaps a small charcoal grill. We’ve still got the wire grates to use over the camp fire so might just continue with that. If I get something it must be small, lightweight and easy to transport without making a mess. Suggestions here are appreciated.

I like the mod of the cutting board over the cook burners, but would also like that mod to have a dish drying rack. Insights and links on accommodating that would be appreciated.

I don’t anticipate using the microwave/convection oven very often. We don’t even have a microwave at home and if it had been an option I would have taken the extra space vrs. the oven.

Air conditioner is LOUD. It was very humid on the trip and it made us more comfortable but it is loud. When the humidity dropped and it got cooler at night we opened the windows. In seconds, the roof vent fan did a fantastic job of drawing the cool air in and the hot air out. It’s much quieter than the AC so I’d anticipate we’ll only be using the AC only in extreme conditions.

We didn’t have the opportunity to try the heater, but it seems a bit curious and perhaps unsafe to have a heater under a bed. Does anyone else have any thoughts or concerns about this?

The entertainment center works well, but you need to be conscious of the volume when changing sources. The volume my change considerably so it’s best to lower the volume before changing the source. We also had a ghost encounter when the entertainment center, presumably on its’ own came on and blasted an AM broadcast. My son say’s it was entirely on its own, and not the result of inadvertently hitting a remote control.
The entertainment center provides the audio for everything (dvd) except broadcast television, so you’re not using it watching the TV in broadcast mode. If this is not the case someone correct me, but that’s the conclusion we came to.

Our campground provided cable so we used it and it gave us lots of viewing options. We didn’t try to see how the external antenna worked for local broadcasts, but I’m curious how the source is changed from cable to external antenna or if it is done automatically. Insight here is also appreciated.

Hot water heater worked well, but we were not sure if we should turn it on and off or bring it to temp and then leave on. It seems to me since it was so quick it would best be used on demand. Also it did a good job of holding the water at a pretty decent temperature for a good deal of time.

We didn’t fill the black\gray tanks much and drained all including the fresh water before leaving. No problems there but was slightly concerned using the fresh water hose on the black tank spray inlet. I wouldn’t want to carry another hose for that purpose only but thought it’s probably not an issue and most likely remedied by a little bleach and water on the couplings. Probably a non-issue. We’ve already decided the toilet will not be used for solid waste unless it is a critical situation. We don’t expect to be camping outside of campgrounds and if we should do and pull-over overnight somewhere I’d expect there would be a lavatory in reasonable proximity, if not we’ll deal with it.

I also don’t anticipate using the shower much. Probably more likely to use the external shower when necessary due to my size and the size of the bathroom.   Curious where people keep the toilet paper when showering so it doesn’t get wet. Even the toilet will be quite tight in those situations that it might be necessary for me to sit on it. Once again we expect to use campground facilities, but nice to have the options available. Also considering a small nylon cord to suspend in the bathroom for hanging wet towels bathing suits. There’s already a couple of eye hooks on the shower curtain that look accommodating. Insight or ideas on this are appreciated.

The wood trim on the one of seats in the dinette has already ripped away partially. I’ve tried to screw it back in, but it won’t hold. I’m considering taking it off and replacing the screw fastening with Velcro or taking the trim off all together since it doesn’t appear to have a function and is purely decorative. I think it will continue to be an issue if I leave it the way it is now. Again, any insight or recommendations are appreciated.

Speaking of Velcro, we are using that on the remote controls and have them hung on the small wall to the right facing the kitchen. This helps keep the table and the shelf under the TV clear or available for more important things, but still keeps them hand when using the TV.
I’m apprehensive about drilling any holes for shelves or anything else right now, but will inevitably need to. I’m hoping that at least a paper towel holder and some hooks and such will be double stick tape. I may add two small shelves over the bed near the hangers to store toiletry bags and such.

I expect to store the tire in the rear storage compartment so I can use my Thule Helium bike rack on the back. I don’t expect any issues here with two or three bikes.

I’m a little concerned about mice and their ability to destroy the bedding and cushions. I’ve already put mouse poison in the trailer and will also distribute some moth balls when I winterize it.

So there’s my observations and concerns, at least for now. Any insight from the group is appreciated.

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 5:43pm
You might want to grab a can of spray foam and crawl under to spray around any gaps you see under there. Will help keep the mice out.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 6:00pm
Good Advice, thanks Leo.
CoastalCal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 6:26pm
We also have a new 2015 178 that has been out on two 4-5 day trips so far. Except for the deadbolt failing and requiring a locksmith, all has been great.  In my newbie opinion, I would suggest taking a few trips before adding too much storage.....shelves,etc. see what you can do without.  We really like the openness of the pod as is and have added only a few small things, paper towel holder (the hubby was excited about that since I have never allowed one in my kitchen, but hey, we're camping!) I hung a multi compartment organizer-thing purchased at Home Goods on the clothes rack and it holds a ton of stuff - it's two sided and only about 5 inches wide fully loaded with iPods, makeup, sunscreen, etc. 

There really is lots of storage under the pod.

Happy travels!!

2015 178 R-Pod
Ford F-250 4x4 Diesel
2014 Indian Vintage
2010 HD Ultra Classic
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 7:14pm
Hello Don
welcome to the group-there are a lot of good people here with a lot of experience and knowledge.  everybody has a different pod because they become personalized.  check out the past posts throughout the forums and you will see lots of good ideas.

just to address a couple of your questions-
you can easily remove the microwave in most units by simply unscrewing  the outer trim ring from the cabinet surround.  Our microwave just sits on a little shelf and is plugged in to a regular  outlet.  Several people have done this and used the space for storage.  the space is considerably larger than the microwave.

We added a simple bathroom shower rod  in our bath.  We mounted the  end brackets on the front to back walls so as to make it as long as possible.  We hung it as high as possible with enough room for a coat hanger or towel to fit over it.  I cut the top of one  end bracket so we could easily remove the rod if we wanted.

We carry a small 14x24)propane grill with us.  It is powered by a 1 pound disposable gas cylinder.  We use it almost every night for cooking dinner.

enjoy your new pod
travel safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 7:56pm
Hi Don,
I second Leo's comment on spray foam. I first purchased stainless steel wool and inside and out stuffed as much around any openings as possible. Then I used the great stuff foam to seal under the carriage. A couple of comments:

"We purchased the trailer from Stoltzfus RV in Adamstown, PA. Simply, a good experience. Good price, good guidance, accommodating and professional. I would highly recommend them. Ask for Lee, he took good care of us".
- Good to hear you had a pleasant experience. When I was in the market, they wouldn't negotiate very much lower than the MSRP, so I ended up traveling from MD to OH and saved a lot of $.

"The initial inspection of the trailer I was a little disappointed by the craftsmanship.   While the design is well thought out there are a few rough edges and it is most likely not built with the highest quality components".
- Agree. YouTube the mfg plant video and watch how the Amish throw these things together. They must be paid by the number of TT's they assemble, and they can assemble in no time flat.

"We towed with a 2014 Mazda CX-9 from Pennsylvania to our home in Connecticut. I had been apprehensive about the ability of the car to handle this trailer but was assured by the Mazda dealers Service Manager it was capable. The car performed admirably on our drive home with the exception that our fuel economy dropped from 18 mpg to less than 11. We’ll have to do a few more trips and then see if any issues arise when we have the car serviced later this year".
- I get almost exactly the same mpg with my 2013 Pathfinder.

"I’m 6’3” and was not uncomfortable in the Queen bed. I’ll have to see if that changes when my wife joins me on that limited space. My son, also my size said sleeping on the dining table conversion was not that comfortable so we are considering buying a mattress top which we’ll use on the bed and then when necessary we’ll transfer for our guests use on the conversion bed".
- We also sacrificed having a queen size walk around bed in another model to have an easier towing trailer. 18 ft vs 22+

"Cooking area is crowded, but we’re used to camping on the fire and using a single Coleman propane cooker. I’m not sure what to use to compliment the cooker in the trailer, perhaps a small charcoal grill. We’ve still got the wire grates to use over the camp fire so might just continue with that. If I get something it must be small, lightweight and easy to transport without making a mess. Suggestions here are appreciated".
- We cook everything outside on a Coleman Triton Stove (the Mrs. hates the smell of food in the trailer).

"I don’t anticipate using the microwave/convection oven very often. We don’t even have a microwave at home and if it had been an option I would have taken the extra space vs. the oven".
- We are always boondocking and have appreciated the simpler things. Lots of recipes for campfire foil cooking:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-things-to-grill-in-foil.html

"Air conditioner is LOUD. It was very humid on the trip and it made us more comfortable but it is loud. When the humidity dropped and it got cooler at night we opened the windows. In seconds, the roof vent fan did a fantastic job of drawing the cool air in and the hot air out. It’s much quieter than the AC so I’d anticipate we’ll only be using the AC only in extreme conditions".
- I equate the Dometic brand for RV's as Roper is to home appliances; Not top of the line.
Ours is also noisy and shakes the trailer. Used it once and could not get any sleep, and have not used again ever since.

"Hot water heater worked well, but we were not sure if we should turn it on and off or bring it to temp and then leave on. It seems to me since it was so quick it would best be used on demand. Also it did a good job of holding the water at a pretty decent temperature for a good deal of time".
- I believe the specs are 6 gl and 12 minutes to heat it up. Unless we're showering, we shut it off.

JD
DebbieHM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 11:01pm
We bought one of those pocket hoses to use to flush out the black water tank.  Hangs over the shower head to dry.  Goes back to almost nothing for storage.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 11:58pm
Welcome.  A few more comments.  First, Stoltzfus was willing to almost match Couch's when we bought from them in 2009.  However, after 2 service disasters in the last year or two and complete nonsense coming from the mouths of their lead service tech and their service manager, I recommend using someone else for any service work.  Maybe - maybe - any warranty work the first year (or two, if you bought the $150 one-year extension), but otherwise stay away.  I have a long post around here somewhere about my experiences.

I also have a post detailing 5 things I did which made my A/C quieter.  I am low on battery on my computer so I can't look up these posts right now, sorry.

Just leave the water heater on.  It is so well insulated it will use very little propane to keep the water warm.  I confirmed this on our popup years ago when I spent an entire day sitting near the water heater (it was shady on that side).  I used to turn it off all the time but left it on accidentally that day and never got around to turning it off, and only heard it come on for a few minutes a few times.  Also just yesterday I forgot to light mine after getting into camp (our "new" camper doesn't have electronic ignition like the pods have) and there was enough hot water left from the morning that my wife got a shower and then I did and I still got lukewarm water with the hot tap on full.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 6:58pm

Thanks all for your assistance and support.

I found this in the fridge when we got home. Must have fallen from somewhere inside of the fridge, but I can't figure out where. Can anyone identify this part. Its a Dometic, and I've looked in the manual but don't see the part anywhere.

Thanks again.
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 8:56pm
not sure, might be a do hicky
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179