Topic ClosedUS tour - eastern states 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: US tour - eastern states 2015
    Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 11:40pm
In 2013 we toured the southern states, 2014 we toured the western states.  Now we will do the entire east coast.  In 2016 we'll do the west coast and northern states.

We left this morning and are currently just south of the NC/SC border (but not at South of the Border) at a rest stop for the night.  The short-term plans are to camp tomorrow night at Lake Louisa just west of Orlando, then 2 nights at Fort Wilderness at Disney (not going into any park, just hanging out), then we pick up my wife on the 7th at the end of a conference she is attending near Disney, and head to the Everglades.

After that we'll wind our way up the coast, spend a night at home, then continue north to Niagara.  I wanted to then do a loop into Canada but I couldn't justify $450 for 4 passports.  We could get the cheaper $30 passport cards, but my luck the Euro will crash next year making a trip overseas dirt cheap and then I'll have to buy the full passports anyway.  No big deal, Canada is only a day's drive away so we can shoot for it in a few more years.

Eventually we'll make it up to Acadia, Maine, and then work our way back down the coast.

Three observations for today.  One, the Virginia State Police were out in force 120%.  No exaggeration there were some stretches of I-95 where they had someone pulled over on the side of the road every 1-2 miles for 15 miles.  Kept slowing down traffic because they were everywhere.  I'm guessing with the terror threat they canceled all leave and told them to pull over anything that didn't smell just right.   

Two, we stopped for dinner a few hours ago and made some soups in the microwave.  Just as we were finishing up my younger daughter spilled what she had left across the table and onto my lap.  Next time I sit uphill from her! 

Three, we were only on the road an hour or two when I was passing someone stopped on the side of the road and suddenly they darted back into my lane and not nearly at full throttle.  Either he didn't see me or, considering the condition of his car, it may have been an insurance ploy hoping I would hit him.  I nearly did.  A good test of my brakes and Prodigy slowing 12,000+ pounds from 65 to 10 just as fast as possible.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 7:29am
Psst Doug I know few roads along the border that are wide open👍
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 5:04pm
One day on I95 is like a week on I90 out west.

Sounds like a great trip! Keep us updated. Just got back from three days in Boston - driveway camping. Know that the lobsters and steamers are plentiful and great! I left a couple for you when you get up that way!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 11:15pm
Leo - with my luck they would be doing a spot check on the day and hour we decide to come back!

Fred - thanks, I hope to have one or three while we're up there.

Today was long and... long.  I didn't expect to be on the road as long as we were.  Partly it was because we hit several bucket-pouring storms, during one of them dozens of cars pulled over for 10-15 minutes because it was impossible to see, including us.  And of course I found another idiot on the road that has no idea that pulling right in front of a large rig and then slamming on the brakes is a Bad Idea.  This time she was on her cell phone and I think she just wasn't thinking, but dang she almost won a Darwin award.  Pulled from the left lane into the right just 10 feet in front of me and then hit her brakes as she half-heartedly tried to pull onto the shoulder.  Couldn't pull onto the shoulder first, no.  So my Prodigy and brakes got another good workout.  My horn, too, both days.  And I NEVER use my horn.  But we arrived safely if a bit late to actually enjoy this state park.  It is raining too so even a walk around is out of the question.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 10:37am
Doug. While you are up that way if you need any translations give me a yell I grew up in Massachusetts. Things like
Park tha kar etc
other driving tips : in Boston expect to get lost. They usually throw up a detour just to make driving interesting.
When driving in the rotary or the round-about as they call them in Vermont. Just aim at the nicest car as you enter they will usually back off!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Leo B

other driving tips : in Boston expect to get lost. They usually throw up a detour just to make driving interesting.

LOL

That is so true! After spending 25 years in South Florida where every street, avenue or terrace runs due N, S, E or W; I find driving around Boston impossible! I think it comes from turning every cow path into a highway!

fred
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 11:16am
Love Boston, the only place where being a wicked pissa is a good thing!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 11:47am
Don't mean to hijack Doug's adventure, but this is how I like spending a holiday in Boston...or Maine or NH or VT or anywhere! $11.99 a pound for 2 pounders!

ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 5:38pm
When in Boston be sure to pak your caa in havad yad and go to the baa to have a bea.
Oh ya enjoy dim lobsta's

From a true Bostonian  
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 7:17pm
LOL
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171