This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedlocked out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: locked out!
    Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 10:07pm
Hello all!
I am a brand new owner of a rpod 178 (1st time owning a trailer).  Other than an overnight maiden voyage, I took my first trip to the coast of Oregon.  Had a fabulous time with no issues until the morning I was to leave.  Took my dog out to pee, shut the door and it locked on me.  Keys were inside and the spare was in my locked car.  I now know to hide a key.  My question is has this happened to anyone else?  The locksmith said he has no idea what happened.
Thanks!
Gail
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 11:30pm
Shouldn't have happened the way it is designed.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 7:32am
We have a camper key hidden on the camper and one on our van. You never know when it might come in handy
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
gailee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 9:29am
Thank you.  I have written to Forest River with my concern.
CoastalCal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 10:13am
Originally posted by gailee

Hello all!
I am a brand new owner of a rpod 178 (1st time owning a trailer).  Other than an overnight maiden voyage, I took my first trip to the coast of Oregon.  Had a fabulous time with no issues until the morning I was to leave.  Took my dog out to pee, shut the door and it locked on me.  Keys were inside and the spare was in my locked car.  I now know to hide a key.  My question is has this happened to anyone else?  The locksmith said he has no idea what happened.
Thanks!
Gail

The deadbolt in our brand new 178 failed on our second trip, had to call a locksmith also. We have ordered the electronic lock and will hope for better although I know some have had issues with that also. A helpful Podder has posted a coupon code elsewhere on this forum which saved us $55 on the price of the lock. 
2015 178 R-Pod
Ford F-250 4x4 Diesel
2014 Indian Vintage
2010 HD Ultra Classic
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 11:37pm

Hello all!
Thanks!
Gail

Curious...whats it cost these days to get a Lock Smith to open a camper door? I'm sure it depends somewhat on how far they have to travel. 

Is it possible to lock the door while its open, (not the deadbolt) and then close it? 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
CoastalCal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Podster

Hello all!
Thanks!
Gail

Curious...whats it cost these days to get a Lock Smith to open a camper door? I'm sure it depends somewhat on how far they have to travel. 

Is it possible to lock the door while its open, (not the deadbolt) and then close it? 

Our locksmith in Petaluma, CA was $93 for the call out and something like $21 for each quarter hour.  It took him about 2 minutes to open the door but of course the deadbolt was destroyed in the process.

2015 178 R-Pod
Ford F-250 4x4 Diesel
2014 Indian Vintage
2010 HD Ultra Classic
gailee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 9:42am
The locksmith came from Coos Bay to Bullards State Beach.  He charged me $75 and it took him less than 1 min. to open the door with a master key.  
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 3:07pm
It happened a few years ago, but I was locked out of my r-pod as well.

The lock assembly was loose and the deadbolt had jiggled just enough when I closed the door that it latched shut.  Fortunately, the windows were open so I could move the screen out of the way and reach in and grab my keys to unlock the trailer.

Admittedly, I had noticed that the latch/lock was a bit loose during a previous trip, and I had been thinking "I really should tighten that."  After my brief lockout, I did tighten everything and I've never had a problem again.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
3Peas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:40am
The lower lock (the dead bolt) won't unlock on my 178. I have the keys. They just don't work. I got the camper used and love it. I just noticed that the reason I have always had a problem and only now, when I got new keys, do I realize it may have been b/c the key I originally received was not the same on both sides. New keys unlock the upper lock easily but not the lower deadbolt lock. Any ideas?      
3Peas =
(Me + my 2 Camping
Collies in a 178 Pod.)
Knoxville, TN
2011 Honda Pilot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>