R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtowing advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: towing advice
    Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 6:38pm
I'm sure this question has been asked before, however I'm new to towing anything larger than a pop up. We're planning on purchasing a RPod 179 in the near future. The dealer insists we purchase a swaybar. I'm sure theirs will be the most expensive. First question is do I need one? I'll be starting our journeys towing with a 1/2 ton '77 Ford F100. I'm going to assume that I'll need a sway bar so the next question is what style or brand works best with the RPods? Finally, who is a good source for such an item?

Thank You all for your relpies.
Cheers,
Scott
blackbird's flyin the coop
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 7:10pm
Welcome to the group! Congrats on your 179! There are several here that are well versed on the sway bar/wdh topics and will be able to advice you.
We tow with a Dodge Grand Caravan without either and have done fine. We have made numerous trips from Vermont to Florida and Vermont to North Carolina without any problems.
Good luck and happy podding!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 7:50pm
I'm sure many other will also comment.  But here is mine.  We used to tow with a 2005 Chev. Tahoe with a towing capacity of 6800lbs.  With the wheelbase length and weight of the Tahoe I only had an anti-sway bar.  Having recently upgraded to a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder, I feel more comfortable with a equalizer tow bar with anti-sway.  With the shorter wheelbase and overall lower weight, this is a better combo for me.  With your long wheelbase and heavier vehicle I think initially an anti-sway bar is fine.  The can be had from Amazon for about $45.  Should you need to upgrade to a full equalizer hitch, be sure to get one that also has the anti-sway attachment included.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 9:37pm
Welcome.  We towed with a Sienna with nothing for a year and a half, no problems.  I had a popup before the pod which HAD to have a sway bar to go anywhere, so I was happy to not deal with it anymore.  But one bad day in the wind and I knew I needed sway control.  Got a WDH with integral sway control.  When we moved up to the Suburban I tried 1/2 of a trip w/o it since by the numbers I didn't need it.  Put it back on due to the much better ride quality - it is basically an additional suspension system and it still provided sway control of course.

Don't worry about getting one from your dealer, do your research.  More info on WDHs in the link in my signature.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
WillThrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 2:49pm
We bought an E2 weight distributing hitch initially, and we have experienced no issues with sway, diving, or anything else. For the money, it's cheap insurance.
"Not all those who wander are lost." Tolkien

2014 Hood River 177
2005 GMC Envoy XL
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 8:05pm
Nice cheap single Friction sway bar. ($40 approx). Reese 33660.

In the event you would like to try a full WD Hitch setup, buy one with anti-sway properties built in. Too many to choose from, but I just bought and installed an Andersen 3324 WD Hitch. It was "OK" to install, but I had to re-position my trailer brakes breakaway switch (had to splice wires), and also re-position my A-Frame mounted 2" Receiver that was holding my spare tire carrier. That was a couple extra hours of work.

No opportunity to tow far with it yet, only a 6 mile test on rough city roads. It perform well and reduced the tail bounce I usually encounter on slow rough roads.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Dadof4 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Leo B

Welcome to the group! Congrats on your 179! There are several here that are well versed on the sway bar/wdh topics and will be able to advice you.
We tow with a Dodge Grand Caravan without either and have done fine. We have made numerous trips from Vermont to Florida and Vermont to North Carolina without any problems.
Good luck and happy podding!

Glad to see you are having no problems with the Grand Caravan.  We have a 2011 Town and Country with the factory installed towing package.  We are picking up a 179, our first travel trailer, next week.  My wife and I will be taking it from upstate NY to Texas in a few months.  Your post eased my mind regarding the ability of the van to tow the 179.  There are only two of us and we will be traveling light (I hope!). 
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 7:49pm
Welcome to the group!   We will be heading back to Cape Hatteras this fall and then hoping to head to the Grand Canyon in the spring. I am really happy with the way it handles.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply