R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTongue mount bike rack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tongue mount bike rack
    Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 11:53am
Have any of you installed a tongue mount bike rack similar to the Stromberg Carlson (CC-275) Bike Bunk for Cargo Tray in the following  link:

I'm looking for a way to carry three bikes with my 182g / Silverado 1500 combo.  The truck has a bed cover and is generally full of inflatable kayaks, cooler, and other equipment.  A truck bed carrier is out due to space.  The soft bed cover rules out a over-the-bed rail solution.  From what I can gather the R-POD's rear hitch isn't really able to support a three-bike cantilevered load.  Also, the 182g's garage makes this location inconvenient.

The most appealing solution seems to be a tongue mounted extension for a two inch receiver.  This would let us carry the bikes without interfering with the truck bed cover.  Also, the bike rack can be moved to the truck's receiver once the R-POD is parked.  Seems like a great solution.

I have a few concerns:  First, it seems like a lot of weight mounted up high with a wind load.  Is this a solid enough mount with three bikes?  Second, is tongue weight.  We are operating well within the limits of the Silverado 1500 so that's not an issue.  What else should I be considering?

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 1:35pm
The tongue mounted extension things cut your towing and tongue weight capacity in half.

The a-frame mounted racks work, several have them, they seem happy.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 3:21pm
Can you put one on the front bumper of your truck?
chiman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 3:31pm
Family Guy

I suggest you take a look at the front tongue bike racks made by Arvika.  They are made in Canada and are really well built and includes the mounts for the bikes so no need to buy an extra costly bike rack.  I have the two bike system but they make ones for three bikes.  Much lighter and I believe will be stronger than what you are looking at currently.  Really well made and easy to install and I have had no problems at all carrying my two mountain type bikes.  No modifications or buying other parts, bolts etc.  The rack just went on per directions.

Chiman

You can google them and get their website.
2017 180 "Frog" towed by 2017 Toyota Tacoma with co-pilot "Willow" a 80 lb Labradoodle
FamilyGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:12pm
Thanks Chiman,

I looked at the site and the Arvika product looks good.  Their three post design seems like it would be more stable with a high load.  

I'll check out the front bumper mounts as others suggested as well.

Thanks for the input.
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 7:11pm
I use a Swagman Hitch Mounted Rack

It slips right over my Reese WDH with no modification and has worked great for us. You will see pics in my sig.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by FamilyGuy

I'm looking for a way to carry three bikes with my 182g / Silverado 1500 combo. 

Family Guy,

Here's another possible solution. I carried two bikes between my Honda Pilot and RP172. The bikes were mounted on a basket/platform carrier by Swagman. Here's the general idea:

http://rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3841&KW=bike&PID=36844&title=bike-carrier-with-rpods#36844

Swagman makes a line of bike carriers called towing carriers designed to slide onto the hitch shank between the TV and the TT. Although mine carried two bikes they make something similar to handle three bikes:

http://www.swagman.net/product/xp3-towing/

To provide the required ~3" space on the drawbar I needed a long shank drawbar:

http://www.amazon.com/Draw-3214-Weight-Distributing-Hitch-Shank/dp/B0016I54ME/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376680726&sr=8-2&keywords=draw-tite+shank

This added just over 3" to the ball location, and as such, has minimal effect on the towing and tongue weight ratings. The often quoted 50% reduction of towing capacity with any extension is based on a simplification of a simplification of a simplification and edited by lawyers, there is a caution to be observed. The true answer involves mechanics and physics and depends on TV wheelbase, bare hitch rating, TV rear axle rating, TV payload rating, distance from TV rear axle to bare hitch, hitch extension length, and many individual hitch component ratings. Interestingly, the Etrailer.com site states the 50% derating, but then admits it is their own hitch extension that fails first. For some indication of the complications see:
http://www.visualsc.com/hitch_calc.htm

Note that I used an E2 WDH. Even with a full sized truck I and most other experienced owners recommend a WDH. Safety and towing comfprt are greatly improved. The WDH removes most of the hitch torque  related problems related to pure ball extension drawbars. I do not recommend any drawbar extension without WDH.

Careful measurements are required to ensure clearance between bikes and propane bottles and trailer tongue for turning. My installation worked well for me and has been copied numerous times. It has an added advantage that the bikes are on the TV so you can haul them, sans trailer, to the trail head.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
FamilyGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 11:42am
Thanks Charlie!  I like this solution as it allows us to carry the bikes without the trailer attached.  Thanks.  It also will allow me drop the tail gate without hitting the tongue jack (if bikes aren't loaded).
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2015 at 3:31pm
Those are two of the reasons I liked this option. Really handy.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2015 at 1:43pm
One point if you are considering this approach. Assuming you are  using something similar to the E2 WDH, there may be enough room on the stock shank to accommodate the slide on bike rack. On my Pilot, using the standard E2 shank, I was only about 1/2 inch shy of the required 3" clear space. That caused me to buy the extended shank ($$$). On my present Tacoma, with the stock shank, there is zero available space. However I no longer carry my bikes there. Point is the clear space appears the be TV dependent. Check first - may save some bucks.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>