R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTongue mount bike rack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tongue mount bike rack
    Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 1:35pm
The tongue mounted extension things cut your towing and tongue weight capacity in half.

The a-frame mounted racks work, several have them, they seem happy.
FamilyGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 11:53am
Have any of you installed a tongue mount bike rack similar to the Stromberg Carlson (CC-275) Bike Bunk for Cargo Tray in the following  link:

I'm looking for a way to carry three bikes with my 182g / Silverado 1500 combo.  The truck has a bed cover and is generally full of inflatable kayaks, cooler, and other equipment.  A truck bed carrier is out due to space.  The soft bed cover rules out a over-the-bed rail solution.  From what I can gather the R-POD's rear hitch isn't really able to support a three-bike cantilevered load.  Also, the 182g's garage makes this location inconvenient.

The most appealing solution seems to be a tongue mounted extension for a two inch receiver.  This would let us carry the bikes without interfering with the truck bed cover.  Also, the bike rack can be moved to the truck's receiver once the R-POD is parked.  Seems like a great solution.

I have a few concerns:  First, it seems like a lot of weight mounted up high with a wind load.  Is this a solid enough mount with three bikes?  Second, is tongue weight.  We are operating well within the limits of the Silverado 1500 so that's not an issue.  What else should I be considering?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12