R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOutside mounted speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outside mounted speakers
    Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 10:46pm
just took first trip with new 179.  When I used the outside speakers one was very static (like its blown) and the other doesn't work.  I had radio set on a clear channel and balance set to 50/50.  Any suggestions?  I know it's under warranty but if its a simple fix I'll do it myself.  I also know they aren't the best quality speakers however they should still work.  Additionally has anyone installed different better quality outdoor speakers and if so I would appreciate additional info.
Thanks!!
Missouri Matt

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 6:49am
My interior speakers sound terrible, one is has a lot of static. I'm goint to replace them with a better quality. 
Fly Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 8:52am
I replaced my outside speakers with some different ones. I used the stock enclosures. My speakers were working so if you want my old ones send me a PM with your address and you can have them for postage. You do have to cut the sealant loose around the enclosures to get them off.
2015 R178 R-Pod
1998 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Ford Escape
Q7-retired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 9:56pm
Check the wiring connections, especially at the wiring block that plugs into the radio.  Mine were loose, casuing cut-outs and static.  I pulled and reseated them.
Best regards, Jim
2015-RP178
TV 2015 Audi Q7 TDI and 2017 Ford F150
At home in "Our Pod"
mcclurey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 12:31am
Ok. Thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow morning.
Missouri Matt

Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 11:19pm
MY interior speakers sounded terrible until I pulled their covers and noted that the spade connectors at the speaker terminals were very loose fitting.  I crimped all 4 and there was a 100% improvement in the sound.  
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
Pooterpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Sleepless

MY interior speakers sounded terrible until I pulled their covers and noted that the spade connectors at the speaker terminals were very loose fitting.  I crimped all 4 and there was a 100% improvement in the sound.  
That makes a lot of sense, as when the volume goes up the vibration of the speaker would effect the connection. My speakers are terrible past about 30% VOLUME. 
mcclurey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 11:53pm
Forest River needs to step up their quality control. I get a sense they are just slapping these together. I just bought my 179 last month and I've had to make a punch list of things to fix.   Nothing major at this point but items that no doubt could have been caught through inspection by a quality control employee at the factory Disappointing.
Missouri Matt

Appocalexx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 6:53pm
Got any part number or manufacture of the speakers, or pics? i was wondering what kind they were i was thinking of replacing them as well before i even turned the radio on lol i would like to add at least some 6.5s outside.
Fly Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:42am
I replaced my stock outside speakers with some Pyramid MDC5 4" speakers I bought through Ebay. You have to cut the plastic housing off of it to get back down to the 4" cone which will fit inside the stock enclosures. There are some pictures people have posted on the R-Pod Owners Facebook group if you search there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pyramid-MDC5-100-Watt-4-Waterproof-Flush-mount-2-Way-Marine-Speaker-System-/170875911533?hash=item27c8ff7d6d&vxp=mtr

2015 R178 R-Pod
1998 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Ford Escape
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>