R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Issues
    Posted: 25 May 2015 at 7:43pm
Got my 2016 179 about a month ago, had it out for a 3-day test spin, no problems.  After 2 weeks in storage, not connected to power, the batteries are dead.  I know I had everything off, all the lights, everything.  I understand from reading here that this is not unusual.  It's not an option to have it connected to power where it's stored. 
So a couple questions; do the Rpods have a "Master" shut-off switch that shuts everything off?  I didn't see anything that looks like that in the breaker/fuse box.  It would not be very convienent to have to disconnect the batteries every time it's stored.  I have seen postings here where people talk about installing a "battery disconnect", but I'm not sure how that would work with a 2-battery set up.  I've looked some online, the "Battery Doctor" looks pretty good, but I don't know.

Here's a couple pics of the battery set-up:

2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 8:26pm
there are several phantom draws that can't be turned off. A battery disconnect is the answer in your situation. It goes inline On the positive or negative side, your call. I mounted mine to the top of the battery box, run a new 6g line from the battery post to the switch, and the pod wires currently on the battery post to the other side of the switch.

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 8:34pm
Two weeks with nothing on? New dual batteries? What kinda batteries? Both the same and new?

How did you determine dead?

Doesn't make sense to me.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Appocalexx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 8:37pm
What kind of batteries are they, I have also read that some people have been given the wronge type of battery from the dealers, sometimes they are given dual purpose batteries and not the stand alone deep cycle batteries. Im actually looking into the dual 6 Volt batteries right now for myself due to them having a longer life span and longer hours of usage for the dry camping.
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 8:59pm
Furpod, I like it!  That's a great idea, so the connections are inside of the box, not exposed to the weather.  So that's the type that has a removable "key", right?
2008 Nissan Xterra
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:01pm
From what I can see, they are AC/Delco batteries, both new and the same.  I assume they are dual use rv/marine, or whatever they call them.   I made sure everything was off, but still drained in 2 weeks, which I figured out pretty quick because even the lights wouldn't work.
I think I'll call the dealership's service dept just to see what they say.....   :)
2008 Nissan Xterra
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by CFWARREN

Furpod, I like it!  That's a great idea, so the connections are inside of the box, not exposed to the weather.  So that's the type that has a removable "key", right?

Yes removable key.. hence the lanyard.. Mine is "Hella" brand, available on Amazon..
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:29pm
The cutoff switch is a great idea. Still, I don't understand the math in draining 200 AH (assuming) in parasitic load over 2 weeks.

Would welcome insight.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
Appocalexx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:31pm

im sure someone would correct me if im wronge but the Maring/RV are the wronge type, due to the way they are build on the inside. The deep cycle batteries are made to hold charges at cold temps for longer period times and also have longer life span for the type of use that TTs do, if everything was off and there is no other explanation for them going dead, especially after 2 wks of storage, i would have to say they are not truly deep cycle and see if the dealer could do something about that.

One more question is, what were the batteries reading when you placed it in storage?
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:36pm
The batteries were 100% charged when it went into storage,
I had been at a campground with 30 amp hookup and the battery charges while driving. 
I fully expect the dealership's explanation to be, "what do you want for free"?
(The dual batteries and full propane tank are included in the price)
I will investigate a bit further to see what type of battery they are, I can't quite tell from the pictures I posted.
2008 Nissan Xterra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>