R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBreak away connection for brakes - Event Date: 24 May 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Break away connection for brakes
    Posted: 24 May 2015 at 5:51pm
Hi, everyone! Starting another camping season with our trusty Peapod!! I have a connection question. I don't know the correct terminology for what I'm asking, so bear with me! Wink The brakes are wired with a break-away cable that will pull loose and set the trailer brakes if the trailer becomes detached from the towing vehicle. The trailer brakes are wired (somehow) to connect to the brake indicator/box/mechanism that was installed in our truck when we bought the pod. Usually, when we step on the brakes in the truck (with or without the 'pod attached) a little light on the box lights up. It doesn't seem to be lighting up now. 
OK, so here is my question. We had taken the towing vehicle in to the RV dealer a month or so ago to have the plug-in socket replaced, due to damage caused when my husband caught it on something. Do you think that the connection to the little break-away box was overlooked during the replacement of the socket? I guess I don't 'get' the inner-workings of the connection. What is the box for, anyway? There is a dial to set the brake tension on the box. 
I'm perplexed, and my husband has proclaimed that the Peapod is "my trailer" and my problem (it always becomes "mine" when something isn't working)! Help meeeeeeeeee.........
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 6:22pm
The break away box and emergency trailer brake are all on the pod itself. It uses the 12v battery on the pod to lock up the brakes. The little plug that pull out just closes a circuit between the pod battery and brakes.

The brake controller inside your truck is completely independent of the break away. It interfaces with the brake system in the truck, as well as signals and tail lights, to send voltage to the brakes.
cosmo751 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:32am
The breakaway feature is wired through the trailer battery, or in some cases a small stand-alone battery. It is not otherwise associated with the electric brake controller.

That the brake controller appears to be inoperative needs to be investigated and explained by the servicing dealer. It sounds like it may not be working at all.

<K>
"He not busy being born is busy dying."
 Post Reply Post Reply