Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp: Convince me to buy an Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help: Convince me to buy an Rpod
    Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:19am
With your stated constraints, and at great personal risk to me from my Rpod friends, I'm going to recommend the Lance. For two reasons: bigger fridge and dry bath. The fridge is only 1 cu ft bigger and the dry bath is still tiny, but these will be huge advantages when you're in the box. The Lance suffers from slightly less  gray water storage, but you'll adapt. Both Rpod and Lance are above average in manufacturing. The Lance also has the "4 Season" package if you want it. Perhaps you can talk with the Lance factory on ways to beef up the back bumper for the bike carrier. The cost analysis with initial/sale/investment dollars is left to the student. Wink
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 1:03pm
We have lived in Colorado for 19 years, and have been camping here longer than that.  Prior to our R-pod, we owned popups.  We just got the Pod at the end of last season, so we haven't had it long enough for me to give you a thorough evaluation, but so far, we love it.  I have heard nothing but good about Lance campers.  We have friends with a really nice Lance slide-in for their pickup, and they like it. 

As already noted, the price is a big difference.  You said that you are more concerned about how much of your initial investment will you get back when you sell in a few years, than the initial cost.  Campers of all varieties are really hot commodities in Colorado.  I have sold two popups here (on Craigslist) and got full asking price for both, selling within days, and fielding dozens and dozens of inquiries.  I don't think there would be an advantage with either camper.

Like you, we have used it, and plan to continue to use it, mostly camping in National Forests via secondary roads (not off-roading, by any means, but not interstate driving and pulling into the paved RV campground).  So a couple of thoughts on that aspect:

First, I'd check the clearance on the Lance and compare it with the R-pod (which will be a Hood River Edition, if you buy it in Denver).  My R-pod was purchased in Omaha, so it is not a Hood River, but does have the axle risers, so I feel it gives us adequate clearance for the kind of camping we do.  The Lance may or may not.  If it has less clearance, I think that would be a major negative.

The other concern I would have about your camping in Colorado is your tow vehicle.  Toyota 4-runners are great vehicles.  You will be able to get where you want to go in the mountains.  But be prepared for a slow drive up out of Denver!  The V-6 is a bit marginal for mountain towing, in my opinion.  Looks like the Lance and the R-pod are about the same weight, so no advantage either way.  But I wouldn't go any heavier than either of them with your current tow vehicle.  If a new tow vehicle is in your future, consider something with a bit more tow capacity, like a Sequoia, Expedition, Tahoe, etc.
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
trhoppe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 1:17pm
I was hoping of what you said about selling used. Especially something small like this that's a "Fisher Price, my first camper" in that you can tow it with a smaller vehicle. 

I will check on the clearance, great call!

What does the Hood River Edition give you that the others don't? I couldn't find ANY information about this online surprisingly. Or maybe my Google Fu isn't strong enough for this. 

And lastly, the tow vehicle. Yes, these two are the max sizes we want to do. They will be ~3800lbs loaded down I believe, with maybe max 4000. Still not ideal for the 4Runner, as something 3500lbs would be perfect, but I think it will work. The Sequoia would be next on the list, but DAMN that sucker is huge. The 4 Runner has been so awesome I don't think we'll ever sell it. Maybe upgrade it for a 2012 with the V8 if we could find a cherry one. REALLY love the 4th Gen.
trhoppe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 1:22pm
Ahh found it:

- Diamond plate rock protection on wheel wells and front wall
- Axle riser for elevated ground clearance
- X-treme 15 in. tires
- Aluminum rims
trhoppe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 1:29pm
Does anyone have clearance numbers on the RPOD in terms of "important things hitting the ground"? The 1575 does have frame sliders built into the back, so that if you do hit, you won't hit anything important. Didn't see anything like that under the RPOD. Seemed you'd hit the jacks first, which could suck. 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 1:58pm
If I was using it the way you intend, I would buy "save a jacks"..
trhoppe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 2:09pm
I think for the Rpod we'd want something like that. The Lance has these jacks that recess into the back bumper and then frame sliders right in front of them...
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 2:38pm
   I think with the Lance the materials used for building the trailer may be less toxic than that used for the r-pods if that is a concern. Both have fiberglass roofs which I think is a advantage over a rubber roof. They are both good campers though my personal opinion is that you get more for your money with the r-pods.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 5:15pm
   You may be interested in one of the newer Gulfstream Visa's the construction looked good when I looked at one. They are lite weight and they have several floor plans and aluminum framed with vacuum bonded walls and roof. We looked at one with a large rear bath and a front walk around queen bed.They upgrade the axle by 500 lbs. with larger wheels and gave it 4" more ground clearance. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12