Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp: Convince me to buy an Rpod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help: Convince me to buy an Rpod
    Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:51pm
We are looking at purchasing a travel trailer in the next month. Moving to Colorado from Georgia and plan to do a bunch of exploring. We want something that we can tow around the state/mountains including some gravel roads, with what I'm assuming will be washboard/etc. No 4 wheeling, but certainly not paved. 

We've gotten some advice to pick up "not a stick built" trailer basically because of the gravel roads and wear and tear. Friends/etc have been steering us towards a Camplite 14DBS or a Lance 1575. Those seem to be super sturdy, plenty of options, and are in the same weight class as the Rpod 179 we are also exploring. 

Either way, we are planning on purchasing a trailer, keeping it ~3 years and then either trading in or selling for something else. I want to keep the "new" feel, and also I don't like maintenance. 

Having said all that, the Rpod has some options that we really like, and we've sort of narrowed it down to the 179 vs the Lance 1575. The Lance has better options, seemingly sturdier construction and a layout we really like. Also for 50% more money, it better, right? The Rpod has a great layout, plenty of storage, and hitch mount bike rack (huge deal, I'm a mountain bike racer). The Lance is lacking any bike mount, so I'm sure I'm in for another $1k in setting up something custom (can't do a hitch rack on them without killing the warranty)

So my question is, will the Rpod last us 3 years without any issues? I'm assuming I'll have to hit the dealer after the first trip or two for some general fixes, but am I looking at 3 easy years of ownership? Or will all trailers in that $14-15k price range have "issues", and I should really be looking at the Lance in the $22-23k range in order to get that "attention to detail" during assembly and better construction?

Thanks for any help!
-Tom
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:04pm
We had 5 easy years with our r-pod 171, towing it from Vermont to Florida (keys) twice and down to Cape Hatteras twice. We had no problems at all. We upgraded to a 179 and really like the extra room and storage. We were able to get $10,000 in trade for our 171 after 5 years. 
I dont know about the Lance.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:11pm
The Lance 1575 is a very nice trailer.  It took me a while to decide on the Rpod 179, weighing the advantages and disadvantges of both.  The Lance is for sure lighter and brighter inside, more windows, more of an open feel.  What it came down to for me was cost, the local Lance dealer here wouldn't budge on price, so I walked, and bought the Rpod, and happy with the decision.
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:37pm
I love our pod. But if you are going into the wilderness, CL or Lance, and I prefer the CL. In fact our next TT will be a CampLite. All ready decided.
CFWARREN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:42pm
One of the issues here is whether there is a dealer anywhere near you for any particular brand.  I suspect this may not be an issue for those of you in the south and midwest, but out west, you're limited to what's sold in your local area, unless you're willing to buy long-distance. 

For example, I've been looking at trailers for about 2 years, and a couple things I wanted to look at were Trailmanor and Hi-Lo, but there's no dealership for either within 500 miles of where I live. 
2016 179 - Hood River Edition
2008 Nissan Xterra
trhoppe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:59pm
There is both an Rpod and Lance dealer like 5 miles away from our new place in Denver. So I got lucky there :)

The Camplite is still "on the list", but I don't like the 2 person dinette option of the 14 DBS and the 16 DBS baaaaarely fits our truck (4Runner with V6)

Glad to hear about the "5 trouble free years" from the Rpod. 

If "cost wasn't an issue" really, would you get the Rpod over the Lance? It's not that the money itself isn't an issue, it's that I feel the "potential cost of 3-4 years of ownership" is the same. In that in the Lance, I just have more money tied up in a trailer, but I get more back when I sell :)
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 7:56am
You say you don't like the 2 person dinette, is this because you foresee large dinner parties in the TT, or some other reason?

One thing to note about CL, if you want something built different, if it can be done, they will do it, costs money of course, but they are a very proactive, small, specialty builder. When I had a couple questions about how we want/need our 21RBS built/modified, I emailed them, and in a couple hours got an answer back, from the owner himself, with an explanation of how to order the mods, and how they would be charged.

Also if you are handy, just like a house, you can pretty much change a TT to whatever you need, within reason. And if you yourself are not, there are companies that specialize in it.. :)

And.. we are also in our 5th season with our 177, not a single complaint. What we have wanted different, we have changed. But after +200 nights, still no complaints.

As far as resale value, TT's of no type are "investments" they are money pits. Just like boats or pools. (OK, I will modify that based on personal experience.. if you happen to have bought a new '53 Bambi, and still own it, and it's in good shape, you can get as much as a new one for it, easy. But you had to wait 60 years for that to happen)

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:42am
First, full disclosure. I am a former very satisfied Rpod owner and still an active participant in this forum, but I now own a Camplite. I have no experience with Lance. We loved our Pod and towed it across the country including Colorado. There are just two of us and the Pod was very cozy, but it just got too small. Both campers are well built, but the CL has the advantage of no rot/no rust and an all welded tubular cage. The latter should an advantage on uneven bumpy roads. I carried 2 bikes on the back of the Pod with no problems, but I didn't spend a lot of time off the pavement. With the CL I got the factory to beef up their bumper and I mounted a two bike carrier on it. I can sit and jump on that carrier now with no flexing or problems. The CL will probably hold it's value better, but the initial cost is also higher. If you plan on trading in 3 years the absolute loss in dollars may be similar or even less with the Pod.

I towed the RP-172 with a 4WD Honda Pilot 3.6L V6 rated at 4500#. It was very capable on flat low altitude roads, but did strain on the steeper CO mountain passes. Red Mountain and Wolf Creek passes were tests, but we just went slower. Your Forerunner should be rated at 5000# so the engine becomes the limiting factor. That's just the physics of a small engine. The RP-179 or the CL 14DBS should be OK. The 16DBS might be a test, but only climbing passes. Sometime you just won't be first to the top.

BTW you have a good CL dealer in Denver. This is not a commercial for Livinlite. Everyone has to make his own decision according to all factors involved. This is just my experience and the resulting decision.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
trhoppe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 10:41am
Thanks for the opinions guys. I was hoping I'd get some commercials either way. Trying to decide, and IMO real people that review and put their money where they like are the best commercials for a product either way. 

I don't expect the Rpod to be an "even" match to a CL or a Lance. It's not supposed to be. But I'm wondering if it's "worth it", you know? Everyone here has responded in a positive way about the RPod, so far at least. That's cool!

As far as the 2 person dinette on the 14DBS. There is the appeal that with the Lance we can do 4 people in the camper. The dinette there is huge, and can sleep two people, and can also sit 3. But most important, it can sit 2 with their feet up and comfortably chilling. The 14DBS is more "sit 2 to eat and then move on". It doesn't look like a place where you can just lounge. 

And as said above, the 16DBS is really above our comfortable towing limit, so we're not even looking at it. It's really 14DBS (likely not), Lance 1575, or Rpod 179. All 3 of those will be 3000lbs after options (ac/awning/dual 6v batteries) and ~3700lbs loaded with our stuff. That's max that I want to tow, even with the "5000" limit. 

Thanks again for the opinions!
trhoppe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 10:42am
As far as "investment", in no way/how do I think this will be anything other than a money pit. What I'm trying to prevent is going past the "quick/easy resale at a reasonable cost cause it's still pretty much new" time frame. It seems that a 3 year old travel trailer in good condition should be an easy sell. It's "hand over cash and go camping", where in a 5 year old model, you start talking about what had to be fixed/replaced and might have to do maintenance. At that point, people would spend way less money and less quickly. Just IMO of course. But that's why I'm asking. 

All I'm trying to do is minimize how much I would lose when I sell it. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>