R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBag awning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bag awning
    Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:47am
i am thinking of installing a bag awning to my new 179. Has anyone done this, and if so what are your thoughts if any
D. K. CAMPERS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 11:43am
I would like to do the same. Everyone I have talked to have said no go on that. I just got off the phone with Bear Creek Canvas who have made removable awnings for the earlier r-pods. They said the track has been changed since then. If they had a piece of the track on the new ones they would see what they can do. I contacted forest river and they sent me a piece of the track which I mailed to BCC. They have it and are looking for the right fit for that rail. they expect to find it and will be able to make one. We are waiting on a call from them. If you find a way to put a bag awning on. I would prefer that. So stay in touch. In the mean time I will let you know what I find out.

Deb

Deb and Kathy
Pmorris1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:16pm
that's interesting about the rail. In all the years I have been buying many types of RV'S I always thought the awning rail was a standard design. I can see now after reading your post that Forest River like Apple with there Iphone they made the rail different so the owner can only use the Rdome. Keep it in house so to speak. Please let me no what you find out. phil
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Pmorris1

that's interesting about the rail. In all the years I have been buying many types of RV'S I always thought the awning rail was a standard design. I can see now after reading your post that Forest River like Apple with there Iphone they made the rail different so the owner can only use the Rdome. Keep it in house so to speak. Please let me no what you find out. phil

The keder rail FR uses is stock off the shelf, nothing special about it other than it's mounted with a bend to follow the shape of the pod, and the dome is not a FR product at all, in fact it isn't even designed for TT's it's "borrowed" from the pop-up world. The reason for the "change" of the keder rail size was because Dometic changed the size of the welt on their product. That happened mid model year for 2011's.

The "dome" is a "Dometic Cabana Awning/Room" for pop up campers. Feel free to Google that..
Pmorris1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 1:31pm
so you are saying the bead used on the dometic bag awning won't except the keder rail.If it will slide into the rail,just because it is bent a little doesn't mean you can'y mount it
D. K. CAMPERS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 8:38pm
Did a little more thinking today. What if the keder rail was removed, leaving more space for a bag awning to be installed? There is about 6 inches from the bottom of the keder rail to the top of the door. We need to determine the length of the straight part before the roof begins to curve. Does anyone have that measurement?
Deb and Kathy
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by D. K. CAMPERS

Did a little more thinking today. What if the keder rail was removed, leaving more space for a bag awning to be installed? There is about 6 inches from the bottom of the keder rail to the top of the door. We need to determine the length of the straight part before the roof begins to curve. Does anyone have that measurement?

The keder rail is what the bag awning, (which is a Dometic awning) attaches to the trailer with. The length of straight rail is dependent on pod model.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Pmorris1

so you are saying the bead used on the dometic bag awning won't except the keder rail.If it will slide into the rail,just because it is bent a little doesn't mean you can'y mount it

Nope, didn't say that at all. But the bag awning is probably not going to follow the roof line of the pod in it's bag, it is designed to fit a straight roofed pop up. The best I can do is, say.. "buy one, let us know how it turns out".. My thoughts, a few years ago, were to make a mounting plate/backer, and mount it into the keder rail and pod side, then mount a Carefree armless box awning. I didn't continue that course of action because, honestly, I like the dome.
Pmorris1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 11:15pm
I have a 2013 Rockwood I haven't sold yet, that has a  bag awning on it. This weekend I will remove the awning from the camper and see if it will slide onto the rail on my new Rpod. I'll post my results this weekend
retireclose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:18am
I installed an 8' bag awning (pop-up) on our 179 before I sold it.  Use it on one trip, worked great. No problem with the curviture of the r-pod.  The R-pod channel was too big so I bought plastic tubing and attached it to the awning, snug fit. Dometic RV Camper Trailer Pop up 8ft A&E Trim Line Bamboo Case Bag Awning Canopy 
Gary and Jill Winters
Bella Golden Retriever
2014 Silverado 1500
2015 R-Pod 179 -(SOLD)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>