R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Can the stabilizer jacks support the full weight?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan the stabilizer jacks support the full weight?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can the stabilizer jacks support the full weight?
    Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 11:52am
I don't believe the jacks by themselves are the only issue. Sure you could lift the trailer by the existing or any number of other (some very expensive) jacks, but the rPod frame is not designed to be lifted by the corners - only the axle connection points. A bent rPod frame would not be a good thing.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 2:19pm
There is a sticker on the corners of my Salem that clearly states not to lift the wheels using the stabs, and to only turn the handle 1/8 of a turn after taking up the slack.  This is with a heavy steel frame that could handle being suspended at each corner, and beefy stabs that are heavier than the jacks I've received with some cars.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Webstas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 2:49pm
Has anyone actually bent their frame lifting with the stabilizers? 
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 3:59pm
I thought religion and politics were best left to other venues. After finding the following thread I now see that leveling with stabilizers seems to be a religious argument. Personally, I find a 2x8 or Lynx Levelers to be an easy, cheap and safe solution. 

fred
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 8:15pm
  Some people seem to think that what the manufacturer says about things like this are just CYA boilerplate that they are comfortable ignoring.  I figure the manufacturer knows something about what they are talking about.  I know you can usually get away with exceeding stated limits, but the cost in money and in feeling like an absolute idiot if, in this case, you do manage to bend the frame is just more than I want to risk.  Especially when it's so easy to level a pod without jacks (other than the tongue jack).  Really, you might have to pull up and back up two or three or even four times, and you have to carry some short boards (that come in handy on hot asphalt or soft ground anyway) but to me, that's not much effort compared to the cost and effort dealing with heavier duty lifting jacks, that, coming full-circle, might bend your frame.

I had a friend who had a motor-home with remote control leveling jacks.  He could sit in the driver's seat, twiddle some little toggle thingies while watching some bubbles until he had things where he wanted. I'm sure his ship had a heavier frame than an RPod.  That was really nice, but that's not the way pods work.

So, if it's your trailer, you can do what you want, but I don't care to chance it.

TT 
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:07am
Well said Tars Tarkas!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by fwunder

I thought religion and politics were best left to other venues. After finding the following thread I now see that leveling with stabilizers seems to be a religious argument.

Ranks up there with discussions on light levels, music levels, and draining the water from coolers.  I've seen some big blow-ups online for all of them.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Ranks up there with discussions on light levels, music levels, and draining the water from coolers.  I've seen some big blow-ups online for all of them.

Everyone knows coolers stay colder with ice water! Jeesh! Problem is, when the ice melts, the cooler gets heavier and overflows with all that water! Sleepy

fred
Harper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 6:06pm
Me, I'm new here but I'm just amazed that they would build the lightest trailer that they could and then load it onto a frame that would stay stiff when bearing the weight on two points in the middle, but will fold if that same weight is suspended from four points in the corners.  Wink

“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can..."
~ J.R.R. Tolkein
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 9:02pm
An 18 foot trailer with the weight on the wheels and braces under corners means you have 9 foot sections of frame that would each old up half the weight of the trailer.  Take the support off the wheels away and you have an 18 foot span that has to hold up all of the weight.  And consider that the waste tanks put most of their weight in the middle of that span.  Anyway, the with the wheels firmly on the ground, you have 6 supports.  Jacking up the corners means you only have 4.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123