R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMicrowave shuts off in 14 minutes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Microwave shuts off in 14 minutes
    Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 1:25pm
I haven't found a similar topic thread with a similar microwave oven issue.  We bought a new 2014 R-Pod 179 last year.  During the walk-around inspection, we found that the overheat shut off switch was missing from the backside of the microwave (when the top vent of the slide out was removed).  The dealer installed a replacement switch and sent us on our way.  On our first camping trip we were cooking frozen dinners in the microwave and it lost power after 14 minutes of use.  The breaker was not tripped and every other circuit in the camper still had power.  After 20 minutes, the microwave power came back on.  We were able to cook for another 14 minutes and the power tripped off again.  This seemed to be the thermal safety switch kicking in.  I took it into the dealership.  They had it in their service bay for three months and could not duplicate my complaint, indicating that they could run it for much longer on microwave and convection without any shut off.  We towed the camper up to our ranch in northern AZ (270 miles from home) and parked it on the new property.  While cooking frozen dinners, I noticed that the door glass was fogging up and the thermal switch kicked in again at 14 minutes.  It is too far to tow the camper back over the mountain grades to take it back to the dealer for just a microwave problem.  Does anyone know if there is a vent port on the microwave that might be plugged (from the factory) that was not removed when the dealer set it up?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 12:35pm
Welcome.  What you describe hasn't been reported before.  Check with the dealership to see what they were cooking, and how they ran their test.  If they were using cups of water that they were switching out every 5 minutes, they weren't recreating your problem with their test conditions.

You could try removing the microwave from its enclosure and running more tests to see if it is ok that way. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Kdstaller View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 1:13pm
My thoughts exactly.  If they had operated it with any type of liquid in it, it should have tripped.  It acts like the oven is not properly vented, and with a convection function in it, there should be some type of vent port.  Since it immediately fogs up, that vent is probably still sealed.

I plan on taking the full tool set up to the ranch on our next visit.  One microwave-ectomy coming up.  Does it simply pull out from the front with all of the facia fasteners removed?
Jpntime View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 11:12pm
 My wife had trouble with our shutting off and I never did anything about it  dawned on me when you posted that. ours shut off after while and we thought about it overheating she was using it as a oven  so it ran for quite a while,never did time it.then after that weekend we never tried it or used it that way again  basically I forgot that it did that.have to try it again soon 
Love to camp
2014 171
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Kdstaller

My thoughts exactly.  If they had operated it with any type of liquid in it, it should have tripped.  It acts like the oven is not properly vented, and with a convection function in it, there should be some type of vent port.  Since it immediately fogs up, that vent is probably still sealed.

I plan on taking the full tool set up to the ranch on our next visit.  One microwave-ectomy coming up.  Does it simply pull out from the front with all of the facia fasteners removed?

Mine just pulled out after I removed the facia. That was one the issues I had with the mirowave is that the plastic facia is all that holds it in. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply