Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie Questions
    Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 11:14am
Greetings to all. We get the new Rpod 179 on Tuesday and are already thinking of lots of questions about electrical stuff.
Our home has a 20 amp exterior outlet. I assume it's best to use that one. We also are getting 2 in series 6-Volt batteries with a disconnect switch and also a 120W Zamp portable solar charger. We are also getting a back up propane tank. We'll be off grid on the wet side of the Cascades for 42 days. Any suggestions??
All the best to you fellow Rpod fans.
Mike and Mary
Rpod 179 2016
2014 FJ Cruiser
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 2:23pm
There are a lot of ways to be off the grid.  A lot depends on your expectations. You can sleep in the Pod like it's a hard-walled tent; no heat, air conditioner, water, and minimal lights.  Your propane might last but the fridge and the furnace especially, need 12v to work.  I know next to nothing about solar, but from what I've heard, unless you have full sun, solar won't keep up with you 12v needs.  You may want to consider a generator.  You'll certainly need a generator if you expect to use the air con or the microwave.  A 2400w inverter generator is the minimum for the air.  Running the generator a couple of hours a day will top off your batteries.  If you don't have LED lighting already you should make the switch.

Your water won't begin to last 42 days.  Maybe that's not a problem if you are moving from site to site and can top off and use dump stations or you are at campgrounds with restrooms and showers.  I camp a good bit in the winter when on board water isn't an option, so you can go that way too.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply