FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2014 RPOD Brake Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2014 RPOD Brake Issue
    Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 1:15pm
Hi All:
This is my first post to this forum. I bought a new RPOD 177 in May 2014, then traveled cross-county and back. I had continual brake problems (brakes dragging). I had the brakes manually adjusted in Ohio, Washington, and Virginia. Seems like the "auto adjustment" is not working at all. Has anyone else seen this? I tried to search your forums, but did not get any hits. I sent FR an email today asking for assistance, and will update everyone once they reply.
Thanks,
Dan
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 1:40pm
I had no comparable problems on my 172, but I offer a few comments. I assume you know for sure the brakes are dragging, but I would disconnect the 7-pin connector and drive a bit to determine if it's the trailer or the brake controller. Maybe best to just unplug the controller so you'd retain the stop and brake lights.

I can't say for sure, but most auto adjusting brakes only adjust when you stop from reverse travel. Then they will only tighten, never loosen. If your trailer was older I'd look for rusty adjusters, but wouldn't hurt to have them checked.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Dholeski View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 2:05pm
Thanks Charlie,
I have not tried driving without the brake controller. My specific symptoms are the PS drum gets really hot and the DS drum is just warm. I'll try driving w/o the controller just to see if it changes at all. Thanks for the recommendation.
Dan
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 5:34pm
One possibility is there is a partial short in the Bargeman connection (on the TV side or the pod side), causing some current to bleed over to the brake wire.  Even if only a few volts were jumping over it would be enough to partially engage the brakes.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Dholeski View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 9:27am
Update: Rodney at FR warranty referred me to Dan at Lippert.  After talking to Dan, I did some testing with no brake controller connected, and at different gain settings.  As of this morning, everything worked great.  Brakes were cool with no brake controller, and evenly got warm as I increased the gain.  Gain 3 seemed the best setting.  Brakes got much warmer at gain 6, but don't thing I ever need to go that high.  Dan at Lippert suggested I check each magnet to see if they are drawing 3 amps (single axle).  I'll check that soon.  Not sure why I've seen some inconsistencies but will keep an eye on it this summer.  Thanks Charlie and Doug for the feedback...Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply