R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoof Leak Under Light Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roof Leak Under Light Mod
    Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 5:58pm
HELP! We bought a 177 RPOD in 2012 (the one where a wierd roof mod was added to put running lights up high above the back window). We have stored it inside and taken only 5 trips with it. Last week we were in a rain storm and water started running down the back wall above the window and soaking our mattress. I also noticed water in the back storage compartment and the wall paper is bubbling near the window. I'm sure this is coming from the light mod above and I seem to remember earlier posts about this issue. Has anyone had this problem and had it fixed? Any idea if Forest River will fix it since we bought it in 2012? Thanks to any RPODers who can help.
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 7:11pm
It wouldn't hurt contacting forest river. They did a sloppy job caulking around all roof mounted accessories vents. Get a caulk gun, 100% silicon caulk, & a ladder. I have not had any leaks but have seen gaps in factory caulk upon inspection of my rpod. I have had numerous other TT and
Caulking was constant norm . RV,s of all types are flexing and bumping down the road so need continuous inspections.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 7:52pm
A 2012 doesn't have the recall, it just has a factory light bar. Any leak would be at the top side of it. Get a ladder and go see if it appears to have pulled loose or the caulk has failed. If so, remove all the old caulk, clean with brake cleaner, apply new caulk. Also, check the lap sealant around the vents, antenna, and a/c. If any of that looks iffy, clean it up a bit and hit it with some new lap sealant.
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 9:57pm
ditto! That should fix the leak.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
renosteve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 3:47pm
Thanks for the replies. If I do seal the spoiler will the moisture that is inside the back wall of cause problems like rot or mold in the future? I noticed that some of the water came all the way down into the bottom back storage compartment.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 9:31pm
   I think that it could be possible for both rot and mold, it depends on how long it has been leaking and how much water entered the roof. I would remove any ceiling lights to allow any kind of ventilation that's possible. It would help if you can stick your finger through the hole in the ceiling where a light has been removed and check for moisture. Using a blow dryer to blow warm dry air into the opening could help. When our roof leaked in our Vibe these are things that I did to help in removing moisture.

Edited by David and Danette - 14 Apr 2015 at 9:35pm
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 10:23am
The recall trailers are in better shape when it comes to leaking because for the recall they did not pierce the roof to run the wireing they just ran it down under the trim. At least that is how they did it on mine. still good Idea to check all of the caulking at least once a year. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
renosteve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 8:28pm
Thanks to all of you for the ideas. I just checked and the water got down into the cargo compartment. I am drying out the compartment and the wall as best I can. The dealer and FR said the POD was not under warranty so they won't fix it. I pointed out that FR had done this work out of warranty in the past, but they would not budge. I checked the spoiler and it is made of a pliable plastic material. It appears to be screwed onto the roof around its edges about every 6-8". The upper top edge has cupped between the screws. I suspect water came through these raised cups where the caulking has probably also loosened. I may have to order another spoiler cover. I'll post my progress.
renosteve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 4:21pm
After talking with several dealers and FR I think I am going to reseal the spoiler myself. I'm not sure I want to remove the screws. Instead I will use a sealant or tape to cover the screws and the edge of the spoiler. I am not sure what to use. I have read about Pro-flex, Dicor, 100% silicon, butyl rubber caulking and Eternabond tape. My thought is to use the Eternabond tape around the spoiler. Can it be used around the AC and other areas on the roof? Which sealant/caulking is best to use on the RPOD food? Thanks for any help.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 4:43am
   I used the Eternabond tape on the roof of our Vibe it is basically the same as the r-pods, fiberglass. Make sure the surface is clean and no air pockets under tape. The tape is very sticky, once it touches the surface it is very difficult to move if not impossible. There are videos on the internet showing how to apply the tape, the manufacturer has one. As far as being used around AC do not think so, I believe a gasket is used there. I don't know how the tape could be applied under the AC where it meets the roof. Everyplace else it can be used if I remember correctly.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>