Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: tow
    Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 12:14am

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 1:22am
You are at the bare minimum in terms of capability.  I'm not an expert, or even competent at dealing with technical specs, but it sounds like your Evoque will work, but I'd be surprised if you'll be happy with it as a tow vehicle for the Pod.  Towing is about safety more than anything.  You will almost certainly need a weight distributing hitch (which adds weight that counts against your load) and sway control to be safe.  It goes without saying, but here I go anyway, that a brake controller is essential for safety and legality.  You are still going to be very much aware of your extra load, and you won't be doing your engine or transmission any favors.

On smooth roads you'll probably be fine.  On long hills, or mountain passes, you will probably be cursing the Evoque, the Pod, yourself, or something.  A transmission cooler would probably be in order.

BC to AZ is a long trip and it's not all down hill.

I think people pull pods with things like this, but if you do and ever try pulling the pod with an 8 cylinder truck or SUV, you will never go back.  If you have a choice, I'd really recommend something with at least a 5000 lb towing capacity out of the box. 

If it's in the budget, in my opinion you'll enjoy the trip a lot more with a larger TV.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 8:39am
Ditto to everything Tars said.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 8:42am
It's not going to be the weight alone, it's also about frontal area, and as aero as a pod looks.. they are not. Your owners manual may very well address this, mine does.

I suspect that trip, with that combination of trailer and tow vehicle would be pretty hard on everybody and everything, involved.
Robert Free View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 9:43am

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 12:44pm
If you can rent locally that may be a better option.  Remember to take into the equation the amount of gas you save by not towing it all the way there and back at 12 mpg (US) or less.  Probably half of what you normally get.

Your specs have just enough power and torque, minimum.  6 speed tranny is good, it will be geared lower on 1st and 2nd gear than a 4-speed to get off the line easier while towing.  Average sized brakes for that towing limit. 

The biggest limitation is the wheel base, 105 inches is short for towing.  Which means a sway bar or WDH with sway control is a must.  NOT just the "sway control" built into the vehicle, that is secondary to real sway control.  That just selectively applies the brakes to dampen sway after it has started, causing excessive brake wear and heating.   See the link in my signature for more info on controlling sway - a short wheel base is one of the biggest contributors to starting sway.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 5:04pm

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 6:18pm
It would be nice to know which engine was in the Rover used for that test, as it's a eurospec, it could be the bigger diesel.. would make a difference I think.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 10:10am

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 10:35pm
Some receivers (the square part mounted on the TV) are slightly too big, so when the hitch is mounted it can move slightly.  That will sound like a thump on bumps and uneven roads because as the pod's tongue rises the hitch can wiggle around momentarily.  Usually when you have a WDH in place it won't thump when starting or stopping because it is maintaining upward pressure on the hitch.  With your hitch in place but not hooked to the pod, can you wiggle it around?  

Some squeaking when starting may be the WDH, or the ball.

Check your owner's manual, it may state one maximum w/o a WDH and another with a WDH.  You want to keep the pod's tongue weight at 10-15% of the total weight of the pod for proper handling, so don't unload it too much.

Normal when towing, but if a WDH is set up correctly the ride quality should be comfortable because the front axle will be close to its normal height and the rear axle will be within an inch or two.  Plus the WDH adds an extra suspension system to the whole rig with its spring bars.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>