R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Antenna replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote troyf650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antenna replacement
    Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 5:56am
I have a 2010 rp-175 that has the360 antenna on it. I've noticed the new R-pods have a bat wing. Can my 360 antenna be replaced with a bat wing? I feel TV signals are being partially blocked by the AC unit.
Home is where it's towed!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:15am
Yes they can, but the factory tells me they get way more complaints on the bat wing then the UFO..
troyf650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote troyf650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 11:10am
Ok, just wondering as sometimes just seems I don't get half the channels I should.
JStrube View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote JStrube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 12:02pm
My round one took a leave of absence on the highway some place.  The factory sent me a bat wing.  Thing is, it won't quite fit, the radio antenna is in the way, etc.  I need to get up there & do some seal removal & re-positioning of stuff.  I would have gladly taken the round one. 
2012 181G
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 1:45pm
Honestly I would order an exterior UHF/VHF omnidirectional amplified antenna and string it up in a tree while in-camp.  Case in point, recently our Directv was out for 10 days (the horrors!).  Around day 5 I went to Wal-Mart and bought an indoor amplified antenna.  With my tech background I know that height is king for antennas, but wasn't thinking about that when I set it next to our TV (first floor).  I was able to pick up 2 stations - both sub-channels from the same transmitter so really just 1.

Duh, gotta get it high.  So I attached it to a 100 foot length of coaxial and ran it upstairs against an outer wall in my office.  Suddenly we had 27 channels from about 9 transmitters.  The difference in height was only about 8 feet, but now it was 16 feet in the air instead of 8.

Throw a rope over a 30 foot branch and haul an antenna up to that height and you'll pick up television signals from Moscow.  Not really.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 2:38pm
Before spending the money and effort to swap-out your antenna, I suggest that you wander around the campground, spot someone with a batwing antenna deployed, and ask them which channels they're able to receive.  Then compare that to your own.  I suspect that you won't find much of a difference.

+1 to techntrek's advice - the biggest boost to antenna reception is height above the ground.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 3:19pm
If you do get an exterior antenna and find yourself in a parking lot for the night, sticking the antenna on an upper shelf inside will give you the same reception as the roof antenna would have.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
pepmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pepmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 3:03pm
the bat wing is an awful antenna we would gladly take back the one that we had in our 2010 ..
troyf650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote troyf650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 5:29pm
The bat wing on my larger camper works way better than this one. In comparing antennas here right now I can't get CBS station at all and people with bat wing do
cjanderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cjanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 8:38pm
i am at seaside OR now and i know it is nearly halloween but it is weird,  i can close a cabinet door and the radio comes on suddenly.  the other day i walked up to enter the 
pod and the radio came on   Could there be a short somewhere?  Anyone have problems with the system?

I also get nothing when I run auto scan for TV by antenna.  Does the antenna raise and search on its own or do I need to find a way to raise it?  Thanks Newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>