R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSome stuff I've done

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some stuff I've done
    Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 11:53am
Glad to see the addition of an area for us ex-Podders (and those who may have not yet owned). I know the idea has been thought about for some time.
I have a few mods that I can share. However, I can’t take pictures right now as the cover is still on the camper.
1.      I removed the entire factory dinette (benches and pedestal table) and made my own smaller version. Gaining just a few inches here and there makes a big difference in a small TT. The new seating has a more reclined (and much higher) back for comfort. The pedestals are gone and the new table is self-supporting. (Easier to clean the floor and no more banging my knees on them) Yet, as I write this, I think I have devised a plan to make it better, with an adjustable reclining back for even more comfortable seating. Of course, there is under-seat storage.
2.     Replaced the factory “scream’in demon” fan with a “Vortex” brand high volume fan.
3.     Ran a high current circuit for my ham radio and another for my inverter.
4.     Moved the “monitor panel” that indicates tank levels and turns on the water pump, water heater, etc.    (Lots of wires!) It was under the kitchen sink, inside of the cabinet, hidden from view and easy access.
5.     Made the “porch” light switchable from inside of the camper and changed to LED.
6.     Put a “master” power on/off switch on the Jensen stereo/DVD unit. The unit only has power (now) when I turn the master on. This saves power when dry camping and eliminates the “blue glow” at night.
7.     Switched out all of the factory bulbs with LEDs.
On the drawing board is a second 10-20 gal. fresh water tank. I grow weary of toting jugs of water and trying to pour and hold a funnel, at the same time, during extended stays. From the factory, my camper has a 39 gallon gray tank, a 22 gallon black tank but, only a 20 gallon fresh tank. It is cheaper and easier to add a second tank, as opposed to upsizing the factory tank (in my research, thus far).

Where will Dixie and I go next????

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 12:12pm
Only a 20 gallon fresh tank? I guess Coleman owners don't shower much.. LOL.

I don't know if they have tanks.. but a fresh tank is just a canteen, and easy to sanitize..

Try Colaw RV, got stuff from them when working on the Airstream..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 12:29pm
We don't take many showers without "jugging water" and reloading!
The newer models seem to have much bigger fresh tanks.
Thanks for the info!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 1:57pm
Hey David, long time no see!  Need some pics on that dinette mod, I'm curious about the backrest.  My wife and I both need extra support for the lower back and campers aren't good for that.

Make sure your weights and balance will be ok with the extra water tank, especially if all of the tanks are at capacity.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2015 at 2:22pm
I'll be happy to post some pics, once I take the cover off in a couple/three weeks. I challenged myself to build everything from scraps of wood that I had in the mini-barn. I used 2X2 framing and covered that in 1/4" Luan plywood - stained to match. For the table, my neighbor had a "sink cut-out" left over from his counter top replacement project that he gave to me. It works out perfect for me. The backs of the seating could have been made shorter than I did, as they go about 6" taller than my noggin. The seat bottoms are on hinges, to access the storage. The factory seat storage was on the side so, I had to be on hands and knees to see/get whatever was in there.

Thanks for the reminder about weight distribution!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 12:36pm
Here are some pictures, as promised. First is the floor plan, as from the factory. The arrow points to what was a "bottle neck" problem, plus, I needed floor space more than I needed seating for 4.

Next, the new "main seat". The brown denim fabric was purchased on close out at Walmart for $2 per yard. I purchased 2 yards.

Inside of the base. 2X2 construction, glued and screwed, covered by 1/4" luan plywood. I doubled up the dividing 2X2 to help keep things in place. In view are the red/black 12v. wires and larger black coax cable for the ham radio. I made a "seat prop" out of some 1X2, a screw and some washers.

The back was made of 1X8 #2 pine cut tapered to 1 1/2" at the top. The "waste" scraps were used for "nailing surface" for the back. The arrow points to a cavity that I use to store keys, wallet, etc. out of sight.

I can access the cavity from the bed side, as I left the back of the seat a little short. Here, I am pulling back the mattress to show.

On the other side of the table, I made that seat as a stool or ottoman, with storage under. Here, I decided a small length of rope could hold the cushion up, as needed. The small 2X2 helps to keep things from shifting. The wheel well makes this 2 level storage. Speaking of which, I did have to make a cover for the wheel well, as it was covered by the original seats and was bare shiny metal.

Here is where my "monitor panel was. A small patch of stained luan covers the hole.

Here is were I moved it. Much better as I can see if I left the pump on and/or at certain times, easily access it from the bath door when I forget to turn it on.

Here is the Vortex fan unit mentioned earlier:

Here is my inverter with it's own circuit mounted inside of the wardrobe cabinet.

And here is the master switch for the DVD player and switch for the outdoor porch light. If I put any more switches in there, I'll have to get out the label maker.

As mentioned, I have new and improved seating on the drawing board that will allow for more and adjustable reclining. I may go ahead and put a small back on the other seat (ottoman)and make it a couple of inches wider.   It is 18" now and 20" would be better. I made the main seat 22" wide and will reduce it to 20" (also).
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 1:16pm
All very nicely done, David.  Thanks for posting.  Nice-looking rig, too.  Smile
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 3:17pm
Thank you very much!
I like looking at what others have done, as it gives me ideas about what I can/could do, in my situation. Having used this for a year, it has worked much better than the OEM arrangement. I have thought of some ways to do it better. It is a work in progress.

PS - I made the back of the "main seat" above separate/removable so that I can take the mattress out, if I need to. Elsewise, I would have just made it a one piece unit.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 6:30pm
Yes, very nice.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Marx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 7:11pm
That's some good modding work right der!  I like that prop idea, may have to barrow that.  Good looking camper and truck too!
2014 R-POD 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>