R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen to dump?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to dump?
    Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 8:47am
Originally posted by howmanyds

The warning label next to the black water tank flush inlet says to only use it when the "fullway termination valve is in the open position." I think that means to only use it when the black water valve is open and draining through the sewer line, correct? I imagine this is because of air/water exchange. So, when I want to fill the tank in order to drain it, and then fill it again to rinse, could I use this valve as long as I've propped open the toilet flusher instead of the drain valve? Or do I have to bring the hose in through the bathroom as others have mentioned?

There isn't any kind of air lock issue, the black tank is vented through the roof.

The reason they don't want you to use the BWF with the valve closed is.. if you get distracted.. It will fill the tank.. then start filling the vent tube.. then start flowing all over the roof and outside of the pod. REALLY. It has happened. To pods I know. The exact same thing can happen with a hose in the toilet.. except the roof vent on the outside of the camper won't be the overflow point. The toilet will be. And that will be flowing all over the inside of the pod. OK, technically it will have to fill the grey tank first.. but, well, you forgot it already.. so..

All that said. I fill and flush a couple times, a couple times a year. I have FHU at home, so it's easy and convenient. I use the timer function on my phone (because I get distracted easy). It takes our hose about 5 minutes to fully fill the black tank.. At four and a half minutes or so, I open the dump. Wink
howmanyds View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 12:32pm
That makes perfect sense.

And... Gross!
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 1:28pm
Yup makes like a pod volcano!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Appocalexx View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 5:13am
Originally posted by Leo B

Yup makes like a pod volcano!

Did the owners rename their pod that after it happened? lol so gross.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 8:30am
The Pea Pee Pod? Poo Pod? YUK.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GLBCamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 11:42am
If the wall panel sensor is useless then what is a reliable way to know black water levels? (I don't care about the fresh water tank so much and have installed a voltmeter for the battery.)
Old: 2014 177 HRE
2015 Tacoma V6 4x4 Double Cab
New: 2016 EVO ATS 200rd
2016 F150 4x4 Sport
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 12:13pm
The wall panel sensor is not useless, just not precise. If you look at where the sensors are located on the tank, there is not much vertical space between the low and high sensors. The same thing goes for the fresh and gray water tanks.  Full is only relatively full. There is additional space. However, if it is reading full, that would be a good time to dump before it reaches so high the toilet can't flush.

Keeping the black and gray water tanks cleaned out seems to be the best way to keep the sensors operating. If there is a build-up in one of the the tanks, it might cover the sensors to the extent that they can't detect the liquid levels. The fresh water tank is, of course, not (at least, it better not be) affected by this problem.

There is no alarm to alert when the tank is full and in danger of overflowing. One must monitor the tanks. Adding an alarm might be a good mod to make if someone knows how to do it. I don't, so I will just monitor the levels.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by GLBCamper

If the wall panel sensor is useless then what is a reliable way to know black water levels? (I don't care about the fresh water tank so much and have installed a voltmeter for the battery.)

When the "flush".. doesn't sound like a flush, you're full.

With the two of us, we have gone 10 days until we "needed" to flush. Most of the time, a 3-4 day trip, we have to top off the BW tank to make sure we get a good dump. Then when we get home I usually flush and dump a full tank at least once, if we are not going back out in a week or two..

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 6:59pm
Yup, when you see the black water rising up towards the toilet you are at the end.  You might get one more flush.  The gray water tank is full when the shower pan starts to fill up.  Every camper I've owned, the sensors were useless on the black tank, and only somewhat useful for the gray and fresh tanks.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Yup, when you see the black water rising up towards the toilet you are at the end.  You might get one more flush.  The gray water tank is full when the shower pan starts to fill up.  Every camper I've owned, the sensors were useless on the black tank, and only somewhat useful for the gray and fresh tanks.

Agree 100%.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>