FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbout to Pull the Trigger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: About to Pull the Trigger
    Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:28am
Originally posted by calmdowneight

Yeah, I don't plan on watching TV anyhow, will spend about all of our time outside around the fire.

This book will make you an expert. I'ts all about sizing things to fit your needs and keeping it efficient. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Mountainrev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 12:55pm
We have a 2014 177.  The floor plans of the 177 and 178 are nearly identical--the 178 adds about a foot to the front, giving you extra storage and a wrap-around dinette.  TV is located in the same place.  We got an amazing deal on our 177.  Otherwise, I probably would have gone with the 178 just to have a little extra room and storage.

You're correct about the differences between 2014 and 2015 models being exterior colors, solar-ready, and LED interior lighting (with a few exceptions, as noted above, with some early 2015 models).  The color scheme changed pretty radically with the 2015 models.  That would be a fairly big factor if I were deciding between the two years.  Count me among those who are not huge fans of the new colors, but to each his own.  As far as LED lighting, that's certainly not a big deal.  You can purchase replacement LED bulbs on Amazon for ~$25 or so. 
2014 177
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Turbodiesel

"I lift my eyes to the hills."
calmdowneight View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 8:50pm
Thanks all. We bought the new 2014 178 today. It does have the tv / entertainment center by the door. I was surprised to see that it was fitted with the zamp solar system and LED lights throughout. Had the axle risers, is the crown package but the pull down faucet has been replaced by the dealer due to what he said was a lot of folks having issues with the pull down faucet malfunctioning, but that's fine. It does have the keypad door lock and he said that some have complained about them as well, but we will have to wait and see if we have any issues. One thing I forgot to look for was weather or not it has an external shower ( I'm thinking not ). My wife liked the 2015 179 but it was used and cost about $3500 more than we paid for the 178 due to it being a consignment sale and seller not able to take a price cut. I like the color scheme of the 2014 better but she like the 2015 scheme better. All in all I think we got a great deal and am looking forward to picking it up and starting to use it! Now to just come up with a cool name for it!
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 9:58pm
Congratulations! Some folks have installed an outdoor shower as a diy mod. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
bsea View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:30pm
It is usually not wise to go against a wife's preferences, but in this case, as a wife, I agree with your choices. Smile
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 11:14pm
I know! She reminds me all the time of who carries the pocketbook! I do feel we got a good deal and we will be picking it up on Friday, would love to use it right away but unfortunately snow and cold weather are forecasted for Saturday so we will take this weekend to start personalizing the inside and getting it organized and stocked up. Maybe we can go out in it for a day or two during Easter weekend if the weather is nice.
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 7:45am
I may have to look into installing an external shower in the near future. Pick up our Pod today but am sure it will take a few months before I feel comfortable cutting a hole in the side of it!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 8:54am
Outside shower instal is a breeze. DIY for about $50. I have a write up in the podmods section about my instal on/in our pod, yours would be VERY similar..
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 11:05pm
Sounds great, I will check it out and install one before summer. Got it home today and had to clean it inside and familiarized myself with most systems. The only problem so far has been the speaker over the bed is not working, and haven't figured out how to get the t.v. To play through the Pod speakers. I need to learn about the valve positioning on water system and to winterized / de-winterize. The system has been drained and de-winterized, didn't add any water because its going to be about 10 degrees here tomorrow night. Will be leaving cabinet doors open and run the furnace to make sure what little bit is in the lines doesn't freeze. I will be installing a battery cutoff switch on top of the battery box tomorrow. We spent a couple of hours cleaning and basically just sitting around in it this evening, had both kids, myself, wife and another adult family member inside of it and was surprised at the size and how comfortable we all fit. Dealer have me a tounge jack pad he had laying around, now I just need to pick up some leveling pads and some of the plastic wheel chocks to cut back on weight that we haul around and make things a little easier. I installed a couple of cheap bubble levels; one on the nose and one on the right side after leveling it up. The trailer pulled very well, barely noticed it in wind at 65mph on a breezy day with my 1/2 ton V-8.
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 11:28am
 I completely removed the LCD/DVD combo above the bed on my 2013 R177. It wouldn't stay put, the picture and sound stunk, just a really low quality unit.

I instead bought a Samsung 22" LCD ( 22 watts total ) and store it under the dinette bench seat wrapped in a spare comforter blanket for storage. I installed a 12VDC to 120VAC power inverter next to the Rpod converter/charger under the other dinette bench, and that is where I plug the TV in if I am inclined to watch TV (and no shore power available). A small TV antenna is all I need, or I download a movie to my phone, and use a HDMI converter to stream from the phone to the TV, like a mini DVR. 
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12