R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBearing Service 2015 178

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearing Service 2015 178
    Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 12:41pm
It's kind of curious that these days automobiles (and trucks) come with permanently lubricated bearings. Yet RVs have this 1 year/10K mile thing that was common in the 60s & 70s.

I'm not offering any explanation. Just observing and wondering.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mccvii View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 11:50am
I know this is an old thread but I figure I'd pop in.  I am one of those folks who has not performed any axle maintenance but then my pod travels, on average, 300 miles a year.  I'm not planning to dive into the job myself but I will observe the activity to see just how much damage has resulted from my negligence.  I'll try to snap some photos if there is anything unusual or any damage.
2013 178
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
ZuBrew View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I will just add a link to this thread.

I looked at Dexter's service manual, and on page 85 it says to repack the bearings every 12 months or 12,000 miles.  I believe axles that are subject to submersion (boat trailers) are supposed to be repacked more often but I didn't see that in the manual and I've never owned a boat.  Personally I stick more to the mileage recommendation.  If we have several summers full of local weekend trips I'll go 2-3 years.  If I'm about to go on a 7000 mile trip, they get it before we leave.  I'm sure Dexter's recommendation is more CYA, like my Generac generator's recommendation to change the oil and filter every year.  Oil oxidizes and does need to be replaced every year, but with only 20-30 hours of run time annually I see no need to change the filter then.  Cars on a 5000 mile schedule get over 100 hours of run time between oil changes.

Axle bearings on a car or truck are factory sealed, trailer axle bearings aren't - but obviously we have the technology so I don't see why they don't (other than the obvious - price wars between manufacturers, make them as cheap as possible).  I would pay a little more for a camper if they advertised that the bearings never needed maintenance.  But, this is again like my big generator.  Auto manufacturers perfected paint jobs by the early 90's.  In most cases.  Yet my genset after only a few years started getting rust spots.  Make 'em cheap, make 'em cheap.

Here is an updated link for the Service manual
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by fwunder

That really is a great and detailed description, Poster! Thanks.

Not sure what kind of milage/time this is recommended. I've got 10K+ miles on my 178 over the last year and don't feel an urgent need to do anything. Should I?

fred

Fred! I reread this thread and just realized I missed your post. 

Thanks! The manufacture recommends service at 12,000 miles or 12 months.

Have you done a bearing service to date?

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 2:39pm
Since this is just discussion, I'd like to volunteer a query or two (keeping in mind that I'm no expert on bearing maintenance).

Podrunner, the mechanic's assertion that the biggest problem with the EZ-LUBE process is that people over-grease the bearings doesn't make sense to me.  If the seals are good, you should be able to pump a barrel full of grease into the bearings and it would come right back out the exit galleys.  As I say, it's a big "if":  IF the seals are good ...

To me, the benefits of manually repacking are that (a) you don't have to worry about the leaking seal problem (you're gonna replace the seals anyway) and (b) you have a certain amount of peace of mind (if you aren't second-guessing yourself wondering if you did a good job) and (c) you get to clean & thoroughly inspect the bearings & races.

Once in a while, I get in a mood to go do something like a bearing repack.  If I haven't gone a lot of miles and/or don't have a big cross-country trip on the horizon, it's nice to know the EZ-LUBE option is there if I'm not in a repack mood. Smile

John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 1:36pm
The point of the EZ Lube is provide an option not a replacement to the breakdown and repack. How that option is used is entirely up to the owner. Personally, I would not be comfortable not touching the bearings for 5 years.  This link should take you to the EZ-Lube procedures...Good luck and safe travels Sir. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:49pm
This has been an interesting topic, but I still have an unanswered question.  With the ez lube system, how often should grease be added and how much?  As codycountry stated, what is the point of the ez lube if you repack every year?  My pod is 5 years old, I have not repacked the bearings or used the ez lube. My previous trailer was a pop up.  After about 5 years I did repack the bearings myself and I found that there was still plenty of grease on the bearings and the grease appeared to still be doing a good job.  I do have a 500 mile trip this weekend and feel like I might use the ez lube..so for any of you who are using ez lube how often and how much grease?  Thanks for all the good info.
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:24pm
Thank you Sir, keep your eye on those bearings and brakes...Wink
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group