Topic ClosedAdvice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice
    Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 9:23pm
Been shopping around for our first camper, we spend a lot if time tent camping on the weekends and are getting tired of all the set up, sleeping on the ground, packing and unpacking associated with it and have determined having a camper would make things a lot easier to just take off and go when we want to. They're four of us total, a teenager and a toddler plus myself and my wife. We're leaning toward the R pod line, but have also considered the Wolf Pup and Apex Nano trailers as well. Which of the three would be better for taking on mountain gravel roads in National Forest for dry camping because that's where we prefer to go? The roads are not extremely rough, but fairly narrow with steep hills and some moderate turns. We live in a rural area in Southwest Virginia with plenty of public land to camp on and most of our time will be spent in these areas. Next conundrum is if we go with and Rpod should we go new or used? Price is not a huge option but we are of course looking for the best deal available and so far like the 177 and 176 models. We can get a 5 year old well taken care of 171 but wanted some input on the pros / cons of the 2010 models vs the 2014 / 2015 models? What would be a fair price to pay for the used one? Have received some quotes from Couchs on new Rpods and just looking for more input. We could probably get a better price on the new Wolf Pup or Apex models, but want the brand that would be best for our camping needs. The full bath in the latter two are the only advantages I see, not crazy about the all aluminum siding on the Pups either. Space won't be too much of an issue because the teenager has a tent cot that he uses and will continue to do so, but do want the space for him in the event if bad weather or if he chooses to sleep inside. TV won't be an issue either have a 1/2 ton 4x4 V8 Silverado with Z71 suspension, towing package with transmission cooler. Hope all of this makes sense and thanks in advance for your help.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 9:43am
Howdy from San Antonio! Well, I'm probably not going to be much help here. Like most POD people, our point of reference was contrasting from tents and/or tent trailers. Upgrading my TV was NOT an option so I was pretty much locked into an R-POD. When it comes to weight, space, amenities, and warmth of interior, I really don't think there is a competitor. In my opinion the R-POD is in a class all of its own. The plastic egg shells (Scamps and Casitas) aren't for me. Weight being the key issue. I will say this, camping with 4, I believe you will appreciate the extra space, although not much, that a model with a slide has to offer. 

Edit: I should add that if I had a higher capacity TV and was going to camp with 4, I would seriously consider a bigger, heavier camper with more space. 

Good luck Sir, 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
JStrube View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 11:02am
You will definitely want risers.  If you can find a Hood River Edition, you will also get the bigger tires.
2012 181G
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 1:17pm
Welcome.  I agree that with 4 you will want the slide - if you will be doing long road trips.  We probably wouldn't have sold our pod as our kids grew if we had a slide model (which weren't announced until the week we picked up our 171).  We were fine on camping trips since most of the time we were outside even in bad weather (2 EZ-ups or Dome provided dry space).  However, on long road trips if we stopped for the night at a truck stop or there was bad weather at the campground we spent many more hours inside jockeying for floor space.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
calmdowneight View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:34pm
Thanks for the input! I was thinking the space in the pod might be an issue, but after a few years when the teen is gone off to school the pod may be more realistic for three. Really interested in which one is best for rougher roads and new vs used?
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:39pm
Podster, can you give me some examples of bigger / heavier that you know of that would still be good for tight spots on the sides of rougher dirt roads and hold up well? I know like anything else you have to take care of the trailer and I surely won't be mudding / off-roading with it but do need some ground clearance and shorter length would be helpful. Thanks
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:30pm
Well, I'm just saying you're not limited by your TV so that kinda opens it up for several other possibilities. The R-POD is a lightweight premium, I have seen other traditionally built campers 18' and less for less money. I'm not trying to steer you off the R-POD, just pointing out that most people buy them because of there weight class not size. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
rascalrv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 7:52pm
If I were you, I would a buy a bigger unit and not a Rpod. Rpod is ok for short trips but let's face it the bathroom is tiny and you will be crawling over each other to move around in the pod on a rainy day. I would get a surveyor instead. 

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 8:15pm
Thanks for the input folks, you've all been very helpful. I will look up the Surveyor and see what it's about. Any additional advice from anyone will be greatly appreciated.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:27pm
Check this one out...it's only 2' longer that an R-POD. No slide, but a nice bathroom, bunk beds, and full time bed, a dinette, and a bath tub! 

Here is a hybrid, only a foot and half longer than the POD.

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>