R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Pod 179 Defective Dinette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Pod 179 Defective Dinette
    Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 5:28pm
Hello fellow Podders,

I am writing to inform anyone that is considering buying the 179 model to know that the dinette is defective as it does not fold down low enough to allow for anywhere near a level sleeping area. The table is 3 inches higher (see photo below) so it is very uncomfortable and not level at all. If you plan on using it as a sleeping area, you might consider another model or trailer entirely. I specifically purchased this model so that my daughter and guests could join me while camping.

I spoke with the dealer to see what could be done to correct this issue. I had a long conversation with Rodney Jarnagin of Forest River today. He was very nice and understanding but this was their response.

- Unfortunately, that is just the way they are.

- We are aware of this but don't have any plans to change it. The discrepancy is within our tolerance levels.

- They are not all the same height. When I asked if they would check to see if they could send me a shorter one they said that they wouldn't be willing to have someone measure the tables to see if I could get a replacement. They just have too many.

- I should take off the plastic bottom and screws. I checked and this would lower it 3/4 an inch and probably scratch up the floors but there is still 2 inches.

- I mentioned that other owners had cut and re-connected the base. They said "you can do that too" How nice of them. When asked if they would pay to have this done, I was told that Forest River would not be willing to do this.

Frankly, I am so disappointed. This is not a small issue where my guests are concerned. I realize that dinettes are not the most comfortable sleeping options but you generally don't have a big lump in the middle.

I normally don't put things out there on the web but I think it is important for anyone considering the Rpod 179 to know.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 6:06pm
I'm scratching my head on this one, because on all tables I've ever seen either the legs fold up all the way (this is how my 171 was - we put 4 copy paper boxes under the table for storage), or it sits on a pole that is removed.  Then the table top sits on supports around the inner edge of the seats.  Since the seats surround the table in the 179 this should be true - or it is at least possible to make it true.  If the legs don't fold up all the way I would replace them with a pole support and add a 1" x 1" support around the edge.  On a difficulty scale from 1 to 10 I would give it a 1 1/2 (the extra half due to getting the edge support mounted level).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 6:21pm
I just stumbled on the pictures in this post, which appears to have the same legs:  http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=842&PID=54292&title=list-your-mods#54292

So they don't fold up all the way, but in those pics the table is still able to lay flat relative to the seats.  Since yours don't I would make the switch I described above.  It will give you more leg and feet room when it is in the up position, a bonus.
TigerPawd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 6:42pm
I agree - it's an odd arrangement, but the cushions that go on that table when converted to a bed are thinner.  The cushions that go onto those goofy hassock-type things are quite a bit thicker.  The result is a fairly shaky arrangement.  I got some of that non-skid liner for shelves to put under those thinner cushions to keep them from skidding. 

Again, not a great arrangement and I don't feel real secure when sitting down on those thick cushions.  They would be better for the grandkids, who love to bounce around on real beds.
Joan, Jerry and the two Pugs
2015 R-Pod 179
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:40pm
This has been an issue with the 179 since it's debut.  We often caution new owners that the numbers the 179 claims to sleep are exaggerated because of this issue.

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:18pm
You shouldn't have to do it, but a simple fix would be to replace the high cushion on the table with a piece of memory foam with a thickness that will bring everything to level. Even if what you did have from the factory did fit, I don't think that big ole slot in the cushions right in the middle of the area on the table would be very comfortable anyway. 

A lot of Podders hate the table. Mine (and I see yours too) had a 1/2 inch slope and wobbled. They are heavy and cumbersome and it's in the garbage. 

Good luck Sir, and Happy Podding! Smile

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Leighbeelu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:03am
I appreciate the comments and fix's. They actually now provide a cushion to fill in where you mentioned so it should work, right?

I guess I never thought that something so basic and necessary would be handled so poorly by the manufacturer. Know its an issue, do nothing. I specifically bought a new unit instead of used because this is my first travel trailer (had pop-up previously) and I wanted to make sure that everything worked properly and I didn't get any surprises. Guess I learned a big lesson here.

Thank you for the advice.

Truly disappointed, Leigh
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 2:24pm
One thing that l have learned over the last 63 years is ( new or used there are always problems) and l have been more satisfied buying used. I usually pay a lot less for used which builds in a
cushion for possible repairs. I am very handy and can make most repairs on my own.

In addition, when l have bought new my expectations are higher. Expectations for new is perfection and as we should all know nothing is perfect.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
LePodders View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 3:16pm

I have the 179 and mine drops to the correct level. The cushions are off a bit. We actually removed the table anyway

Keenan, Kathryn, Millie, Rio & Cali (2015 r pod 179)
Poddy by Nature
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 6:54pm
Sounds like the table + legs that came with the earlier models were better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>