Topic ClosedCalling all non-podders and ex-podders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling all non-podders and ex-podders
    Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 3:47pm
I've said for a while that we needed a section for the ex/non-podders, and now that I've become one of them I guess I couldn't procrastinate anymore.  

Suggest any additional sub-forums that make sense.  

I think I need to reorganize some of the other sub-forums, like intro yourself, since they don't apply just to the podders.  I'll procrastinate on that a little while longer.  Wink
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 8:10pm
I guess I'll step to the front of the line since I was actively looking for a 177 or even a 178 for almost three years, but could not find one near me to see in person. I had even bought a cover and other essentials in anticipation of my purchase that I eventually sold to other owners on this board.
There were also some amenities I was looking for that were similar to the pod, and then some:
I wanted lots of windows for a sunny and airy interior, standup height ceilings (I'm almost 6'), large fridge, dry bath, light weight (under 3k lbs), dual propane tanks, electric tongue jack, electric awning, easy tow (17ft length or less), and under $15K out the door price.
Didn't really care about AC or microwave since we always boondock with solar only for charging, but I realize that comes standard on most TT's. Also had to be easily towed by a mid size, 6cyl SUV.
So, I finally gave up and found a substitute on RVTrader (2015 GulfStream Vista Cruiser 17' RWD) at a wholesaler in Ohio. It is very similar to the r-pod in many ways, but yet different. Very cozy and warm, like a dollhouse on wheels.
So far very happy with the purchase, but I do wish the GS owners had such good camaraderie as Podders do, so I still checkout this site and learn/share tips Embarrassed
Sorry for rambling....

Thanks,
JD

The photo below was taken last August at Spruce Knob, WV (elev 4860 ft), while boondocking at the Almost Heaven Star Party (solar panel on the ground by the TV). The night sky is unbelievable!

kindell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 4:05am
Ex-podder here. Have you procrastinated long enough? What did you come up with?
Art & Kindell
Cooper the Super Dog
2017 Keystone Bullet 265
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton

Former 2015 RPod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:57am
What you see is what we have so far, with the biggest section the non-pod mods. Initially I messed up the settings and new posts needed to be approved but that should be fixed now. I noticed johnmaci's post, above, still needed to be approved (which I just did) but that was posted before I made the fix.

Suggest any new sub-forums or re-arrangement.
Kokopod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 11:42am
Been an ex-Podder for two years now but still look at the forum almost every day. Our son and his family has our R-Pod, so it's still in the family - that makes us very happy. What I've observed in this two years is that I see a lot more Pods than what we ended up purchasing. Still very much love R-Pods and all the new model styles a very smart move by Forest River. If they would have had this choice two years ago, we would have traded to the one with the full bath. Still have many fond memories of our travels in it and get excited when we see one.
2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k
2013 Premier 19FBPR
Formerly-2013 R-pod 177HRE
2011 Dodge Durango
Love a good road trip
kindell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 3:18am
Taking our new FR Surveyor out next week for its maiden voyage. We have been assured by both our Nissan dealer and the trailer salesman that our Nissan should have no problem pulling the Surveyor. BUT, just in case, we have our eye on the new Nissan Titan coming out in December. We are going to an RPod rally in S.D. next July and we want to be prepared for those mountains. Talked to our dealer today and he sold our "old" RPod 3 days after we traded it in (last Friday) for the Surveyor. They are popular.
Art & Kindell
Cooper the Super Dog
2017 Keystone Bullet 265

Former 2015 RPod 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 10:52am
I couldn't figure out the specs for your Frontier, seems to be pretty different V4 vs. V6, 3500 to 6500 pounds, but then the hitch on their website shows 5000 pounds?  Looks like the GVW for the Surveyor is 7500 pounds, dry weight around 4500, with a hitch weight around 450 pounds (probably also dry).  You probably will need to upgrade.
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 10:59am
Kindell,

Two years ago I traded my RPOD 172 for a Camplite 21RBS. I towed the Pod with a Honda 4WD Pilot, but switched to a 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L 4WD to tow the Camplite. The Tacoma should be about equivalent to your Frontier, but the Camplite is only 3500# empty. Anticipating the  mountains of Colorado I added a belt driven supercharger to the Tacoma. The Tacoma/Camplite combination worked well climbing the 6% Colorado grades to 11,000 feet at 60MPH. We also maintained 40+ MPH climbing California's 8% grade of Tioga Pass to 9000+ feet, but the Tacoma was working. My guess is, without the supercharger and with the heavier Surveyor 220, I would have wanted a V8. Dealers will tell you anything.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Lefty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 12:05pm
We too also sold our R Pod 178 and bought a Surveyor 226 rbds. We tow with a Tahoe and it can be a little struggle when trying to climb Black Mountain in NC. We love the Surveyor and all the extra room.
kindell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 1:50pm
We took our new Surveyor 220 out for first trip since trading in our RPod 179. We are still towing with our Nissan Frontier V6. Though a little slow ion the upgrades it handles pretty well. Art is still set on buying a V8 or diesel before we head to S.D. next summer.
Art & Kindell
Cooper the Super Dog
2017 Keystone Bullet 265

Former 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>