R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar panels in the wind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar panels in the wind
    Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 4:49pm
We just received out Renogy solar panel kit and are trying to figure the whole thing out. There have been some great posts by forum users that have helped a lot. We're going to use some kind of cable to lock them during the day, but we are also wondering about how to manage for the wind (we camp a lot in Death Valley-very windy at times). Any suggestions on how to do that? And how fragile are the panels-can they be damaged easily?  Thanks, this forum is an invaluable resource. 
Skyward
2014 179 R Pod
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 6:47pm
I have a Renogy setup that I use for field radio operations and it's pretty darn tuff. I'm guessing you have the 100w panel kit that includes a 30amp charge controller?  

For me? If I was looking at camping off the grid on a regular basis and depending on solar to keep my batteries charged, I would work towards a permanent mount on top of the POD. 

This will be a challenging endeavor, however worth the trouble because is solves all of the issue with trying to maintain, move, store, and secure the system.

Good luck! Please keep us posted on how it works out.

Pic below is not my POD, but a pic with a POD showing a mounted panel on the roof.

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
ChinookPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 9:46pm
We have an 80W portable solar panel that withstands wind well.  Hubby is interested in buying a flexible panel to mount on the roof of the Pod.  A solar rep said they can be mounted using "3M tape" and will not peel, will withstand hail and some abrasion from grit.  The rep also said many people have a mounted panel plus a portable panel, just in case the trailer is parked in the shade.
2014 RP171 HRE
2010 F150
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 9:56am
If I was in the market for solar and could afford it, I would take a serious look at flexible panels like:

The portable panel option seems like a great addition, again if you could afford it.

From my limited experience...my dual EGC2 group 230 batteries, a yamaha 2400 iSCH, LED's and a little conservation has mitigated any need for additional power.

Fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
ChinookPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 10:14am
The Go Power rep recommended the GP-Flex 100W for our pod, to supplement the 80 W portable.

As an aside, the rep said the U.S. and Canada recently changed tariffs on solar equipment, so prices will increase.
2014 RP171 HRE
2010 F150
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 10:34am
Yeah, those Go Power flex panels really look like just the ticket for the pod. I would really be interested in your experience with them, should you decide to go that route.

What kind of storage (batteries) do you use?

Fun stuff.

Fred
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 12:26pm
I have the Renolgy Portable Solar Suitcase (100w) with Go Power extension cord and 7 pin trailer adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Foldable-Suitcase-Battery-Charger/dp/B00HR8YNK6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423326946&sr=8-3&keywords=renology

for a couple of reasons;
- The panel in the photo shows it to be permanently mounted.
If you are in a shady spot under trees forget getting any real charge. It additionally cannot be pointed "Solar Noon" or depending on your location to the appropriate degree (south for me in MD) to take full advantage of solar benefits:
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/solcalc/sunrise.html
http://solarpaneltilt.com/
- Additionally, the extension cable allows me to move it up to 25' where there is no shade from trees and the 7 pin trailer adapter allows me to leave the battery covered:
http://gpelectric.com/products/portable-solar-kits-lineup

I manufactured a 25' stainless steel cable with swejd <sp> loops and a nice lock at home depot to keep the honest people honest during the day:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/EarthCo-Shade-Sails-4-ft-Stainless-Steel-Cable-Kit-017/100676000?keyword=stainless+steel+cable+and+lock
I still fold it and place it in the back of the TV for safekeeping at night

Does this sound a bit overzealous? Yes, and you will appreciate every last bit when boondocking :)

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by fwunder

From my limited experience...my dual EGC2 group 230 batteries, a yamaha 2400 iSCH, LED's and a little conservation has mitigated any need for additional power.

Will your generator run the POD A/C...no problem?
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by johnmaci

I have the Renolgy Portable Solar Suitcase (100w) with Go Power extension cord and 7 pin trailer adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Foldable-Suitcase-Battery-Charger/dp/B00HR8YNK6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423326946&sr=8-3&keywords=renology

Wow, this looks good...I like it. Nicely packaged, everything you need except maybe the charge line extensions. 

How it the 100w holding up for you as far are recharge capacity? 

The flexible stuff is to expensive, you can by a high end generator for that kink of money. 

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Podster

Will your generator run the POD A/C...no problem?

Yep! I'm glad I have it. It's great for DW's hair dryer. She's happy, we're all happy! ;)

fred

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>