R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsurge protector - Event Date: 05 Feb 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: surge protector
    Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 1:39pm
   It sounds like you may have a better understanding of it than I did when I first installed my surge protector. If you have questions ask, better to be safe than sorry, not that I think your are going to have a problem but I like to be cautious. CharlieM and others were helpful in answering my questions.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Abbagail54 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 1:35pm
Okay working on it, how can I tell which wires are going to shore and which ones are going to the rv?

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 2:35pm
I posted to your question over on FB.. you are in the wrong place. Put that back together. You need to cut into the ORANGE wire. There is only one, and it runs from the shore power connector to the power distribution box. 
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 7:43pm
   It is possible to remove the power inlet on the outside of the r-pod where the shore power connects and then trace that wire. That is the wire that connects to the surge protector. The threads were stripped on mine and I replaced it with a new one, its only four screws that secure it to the side of the camper. There is a rubber gasket that may stick but the power inlet should easily come free from the camper and there will be your wire. After wire is located screw power inlet back onto the camper. I hope this doesn't confuse you but thought it may help. I am sure furpod will be of great help too, and give you good directions.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Marx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by Podster

Originally posted by furpod

Yes you need a 30amp. What features you want/need will determine the model. 

I have, and a lot of others have, the Progressive Industries HC30C hard wired with remote. It protects against low and high voltage, bad grounds, reverse polarity, mismatched cycles, and of course, surge. You may or may not feel you need all that. Many are happy with just a pedestal mounted surge only box.

How big of a headache is it to install one of them fancy "hard wired" thingamabobs? 

Sort of depends on floor plan, and where you have to put it, took me about 15 minutes. But it's very easy on a 177.

I think many with 178's have chosen to put them under the slide. I am sure there is room behind the converter and distribution panel on a 178, but have never had the opportunity to look..

This was a huge help.  I did this early this morning and the extreme humidity and hot weather wiped me out for the rest of the day.  Anyways found a youtube vid that should help answer any other questions.  This should probably be a sticky or part of the instruction section.
https://youtu.be/D9pqo3nqHcE

2014 R-POD 177
desert-wiggy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 5:22pm
Good afternoon Poddies.....I have 2015 179 has anyone hard wired a surge protector on this model? if so where did  you access and mount. S

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 6:31pm
Larry,

I have a 178 and a CAMCO surge protector from etrailer, 30 amp. Attaches to power stand-off. Warns for over and under voltage conditions. The 178, while not impossible does not have the accessibility to the wiring and power areas that other Pods have. I have done some wiring mods, like a 12 volt lighter socket with USB and gauge. Not as much area to work with as it is in forward shower wall where tele is. The 179 is sweet and fairly accessible.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:47pm
I'm going with a pedestal mount - will use a keyed bicycle chain wrapped around the protector and pedestal.  That should give the casual kleptomaniac pause.  Nothing will stop a determined thief.
Teddy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123