Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbout to buy an Rpod-help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: About to buy an Rpod-help
    Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 5:49pm
I am going to need some help with this as it is our first RV. As a new forum member I have been interested in the purchase discussions and what add on equipment is available. We are looking at several Rpods(171) and wonder what add on equipment I can ask the dealer to throw in. We have good prices on the basic units and the sales man has indicated that some add on can be included. What should we ask for: 1. Dual battery(upgrades batteries), 2. Dual gas tanks. 3.winter storage(at least this year) 4. prep for travel in the spring. 5. Cover. 6. A percentage discount on future equipment purchases or at initial purchase. 7. Awning. 8. that front tent may be too much -but a discount on it. 9. tires, rims. 10. ?    thank you-Jim
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by Jbuffalo

...wonder what add on equipment I can ask the dealer to throw in. We have good prices on the basic units and the sales man has indicated that some add on can be included. What should we ask for...

Well, here is my 2ยข

The PODs are pretty well equipped. The only "accessory" that I am aware of is the R-Dome (Awning tent thing), and a lot of new R-PODs purchased already include it. So I'm not really sure what accessories your dealer is thinking off. Maybe axle risers if they are not included, but a lot are now. As far as adds like batteries and propane tanks, you may or may not want those depending on your individual use and tow vehicle capacity because they add weight. I have never heard of a dealer "throwing in" these kinds of adds. Every now and then I have heard of dealers throwing in small low value low quality things like sewer hoses and black tank treatments; a kind of a starter package, if you will. 

With the R-PODs being so well equipped, about the only this there is to negotiate is price. 

Good luck Sir, come back here an let us know how it works out for you...maybe we will learn something.
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 8:06pm
I agree with Podster.

As a fellow newbie, one little thing. We have a 171 and its great for us, but we come from backpacking, like to go to narrow, twisty places, and for us it's a palace. If you like to say in one place for several weeks, you might find a bigger trailer is better for you.
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 9:40pm
Don't fret the extras. You'll add them as you need them and will probably be surprised at what you decide you want.

There's lots of advice on the forum for purchasing but here's a synopsis:
1. Dealers can trim many thousands off the list price and still stay in business.
2. Go online and get a price from Couch's as a starting point.
3. If you have  a good local dealer, use the online price as a negotiating point.
4. If your dealer won't come close, or isn't the type of operation you want to deal with, buy online. Even if you factor in the delivery costs, you might  still be ahead by thousands. We were.

Getting warranty work from a non r-Pod Forest River dealer can be seamless, exasperating, or something in between. My experiences have been seamless. No problems. Others on the forum have been stonewalled by dealers who didn't make the original sale. You might want to ask around (possibly here on the forum) to find a cooperative dealer who would do your service.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
JStrube View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 12:24pm
Go for the thousands, the little things like second battery are like $200 & you can add easy enough.  The dome is excellent & would be a great throw in.  $535 price from FR, so use that as a guide.  Wheels & tires?  well, if you buy East, you get one set, West, you get another.
2012 181G
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 7:31pm
I would ask for all of it and work from there. That is part of hard negotiations.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
Bonjour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 7:01pm
The school of negotiating is to ask for as much as you can without being ridiculous and embarrassing yourself then go up from there.
For me, I live in a small down and do everything I can to buy locally. I want them to be in business when I get in trouble. For that, I'm okay with paying a bit of a premium.

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 7:26pm
What we did:

1) Researched Pod (178) with options/interior we wanted.

2) Visited dealer closest to us (about 1 1/2) hours away. They happened to have what we wanted on lot. Got quote. Went home.

3) Got quote from Couch's RV with same options/interior.

4) Countered local dealer with Couch Offer.

5) Local dealer came close enough to dissuade the drive to Ohio. We bought it and brought it home.

7) Made as many friends here as possible, occasionally embarrassing myself.

8) Spent a few months racking up a boatload of points on Amex and Visa and giving UPS man a workout -- outfitting. A weekend or two or three camping helped us figure it out.

9) Left on a month long 8,600 mile cross country adventure with more to come.

Easy! Less than 10 steps!

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply