R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcostco generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: costco generator
    Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 2:08am
Does anyone have any experience with the "Smarter tools" 2000 watt generator with the yamaha motor? it looks to me like a knock off of the Honda product.

I dont think 2000 watts is enough for the AC but will everything else run that requires ac power beyond batt and solar?

Thanks in advance
Daddy, Mommy and Daughter.
BlackJack & Keno (boston Terriers)
Rpod 176T 2015
Nick:
ouR-pod
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 10:35am
We have a 179 r.pod and the 2000 Honda takes care of all our needs.  Smarter tools 2000 watt generator would do the job.  I own two generators and both are 2000i. The one is the Honda and the other is a Honeywell HW2000i. The Honeywell was half the price, but you get what you pay for. Both generators do there job just fine but the honda is a little lighter and it starts up on the first pull.  Good luck and happy camping.  Big smile
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 10:41am
If your ac is 13500 it will not run it as is. It will run most other appliances on a pod as long as they do not add up to more than 2000 watts. Example: 700 watt microwave + coffee maker OK,but you could not run a 1500 watt heater at the same time. You need to check specs of generator. Max output vs continuous output.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
Craneman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 10:56am
Two years ago at the northwest round up we went to a near by Costco and purchased  that gen set. The store employee compared it with the 2000i Honda and said sameo sameo. NOT SO !!!!! We toolkit back to the RV park started it up and every time we turned the micro wave on it kicked out the gen set,so would. Have to shut it down and restart. We returned it the following day and the gal we talked to said we were not the first to do that. We now have a 2000i Honda.
                                      Moe
Jo and Gary, 2010-174,2011 F150

Jo and Gary
2010 174
2011 Ford 150

J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 11:26am
I have owned a Honda 2000 for 10 years. Change oil once a year and good to go. I use it for camping and emergency back up at home(hurricanes & electrical outages). It has worked out well.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
funks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 11:40am
The Honda 2000i is  a sweet generator.  If you get anything larger your going to deal with the extra weight.  Just don't run everthing at once.  
freezingalaskan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 2:36pm
I bought a Honda 700 in 2004 and it is still running great with pretty heavy use at the cabin. My Honda 2000 has been great for the rPod, and honestly, I really think that you pay once if you buy the Honda right away, and you will pay twice if you buy most anything else (except for the blue Yamaha generators).

freezingalaskan
Volvo XC90 '13
rPod 179 '16
ReiMan1776 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 1:42pm
I have the Costco generator and ran it with my 178 this weekend. It will not run the AC, would need two connected to do that. My appliance circuit is blowing fuses so propane would not work. Flipped switch on water heater to AC, had to have everything else off, generator runs at max RPM but did manage to get hot water. Will run hair dryer. Bottom line will run fan, but no AC, run basic power. I am planning on buying a second Costco generator to connect together which should run everything. With a low load the generator is quiet. Much louder when a load is put on. 
Dan
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 7:16pm
I would be amazed if you can gang two of the inexpensive generators.  If you have a manual that tells you how you may be OK.  You can't just hook two together and expect anything except sparks and smoke. 

I have one inexpensive gen set that runs everything just fine (4500 W) that cost less than $400.  It is not quite as quiet as a Honda but cost lots less.  And you can't run the quiet ones at night either.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Larry158 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 7:35pm
Thinking of buying thr Honda2000i. Does this unit fit in the underneath storage area?
Thanks Larry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>