Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWishing for a 179.....g

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wishing for a 179.....g
    Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 11:44am
There are things I love about the 181g, 182g, and 179 models...yet all have serious tradeoffs in my opinion and it is tough to figure out which tradeoff will hurt the least as I pick one.

I would LOVE to see a model that would offer the permanent bed,smaller dinette and storage of the 179...and throw the garage on the back.  All they would need to do is flip the smaller sofa/dinette to the rear, go to the standard kitchen size but add the storage closet in the large slide and you would have a couple feet leftover to add a garage without making the pod any larger.  This would yield an r-pod that would comfortably sleep 3, have seating AND a permanent bed, a storage closet and a garage.  Have cake and eat it.

Build it and I will...oh, who am I kidding...I will get one anyway once I finally flip a coin and pick one. It doesn't stop me from wishing though.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 1:37pm
We can pick for you if you want.  Wink
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 2:14pm
That is a great idea.  I would love it if you would pick for me!  I am honestly pulling my hair out.  

At the end of the day it may come down to how usable the bunks are when I go by myself and how easy the bed conversion is in the dinette.  The wardrobe is cancelled out by the storage under seats and bunks but the pantry is tougher to replicate in the garage models.

Unfortunately no one carries the 181g so I probably have to rule that one out.  I am not going to order one without seeing it.  I have been struggling with this decision for nearly a year, lol.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by podvader

That is a great idea.  I would love it if you would pick for me!  I am honestly pulling my hair out.  

At the end of the day it may come down to how usable the bunks are when I go by myself and how easy the bed conversion is in the dinette.  The wardrobe is cancelled out by the storage under seats and bunks but the pantry is tougher to replicate in the garage models.

Unfortunately no one carries the 181g so I probably have to rule that one out.  I am not going to order one without seeing it.  I have been struggling with this decision for nearly a year, lol.

The 181g is fabulous!
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 5:39pm
Haha...no bias there!  Honestly the 181g is our first choice but videos walk thru and/or pictures are rare and everyone within 3 hours has zero plans to stock that model.  I know if we saw it we would probably get it but I just don't feel comfortable without getting the "feel" before I have them custom order it.

That breakfast nook is particularly appealing to me as a place to work on my laptop (i am a web developer)....but most reports seem to indicate the nook is not used and the stools are firewood.  Also don't love the whole black tank drain but that is a minor concern.  Did i mention tradeoffs?

That 179 sure seems all the rage these days.  I am sure it is the runaway best seller.  I am more of an outside guy though and the lack of hatch storage, door opening 90 degrees, no option for me to run a tv feed when I get up 4 hours before my wife which is the norm.  Did I mention I am a year into this decision!
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 5:42pm
Sorry, PodVader = Green18.  I forgot my login and created a new account.  Sorry for any confusion.  We are huge star wars freaks so we already have it named the podvader.
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 6:44pm
Also...after a year of anguish and negotiation....I have made my decision.  Driving tomorrow to finalize that decision.  Thanks for humoring me with a pointless thread...though I still feel my floorpan idea is aces.  Make it and I will trade in for it in 5 years.  

You guys (especially KyMooses) deserve a pat on the back.  In years of lurking and dual identities...it is the community that has me sticking with the r-pod.  Thanks all. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 3:05pm
Congrats - although after reading your posts a few times I'm not sure which one you finally picked!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
podvader View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 3:35pm
Haha...I was leaving myself an out.  I spent the day at a local dealer and briefly flirted with the idea of a hybrid that was pretty amazing so that added yet another consideration.

I have a few people coming to look at my toy hauler so I am waiting for a week or so to see if I can sell it outright versus trading it in.  

Either way, I am going with the 182g.  It was hard to ignore the luxury and storage that the 179 offers, that is for sure, but I chose it for the following reasons:

- outside storage is very important to me and the 182 has more.
- i spend most of my camping time outside so I like the convenience of the garage.
- the door opening flat against the camper is surprisingly important to me.  I realize this is a non-issue for most but I almost always use a screen and do not want to lose that room in the r-dome with the door open.
-  I found the bottom bunk makes a very acceptable seating area.
-  The storage under the bottom bunk is amazing and I hope to someday modify the bunk area to include a pantry or wardrobe.
-  I like that I can sit across from my wife at the dinette to chat...versus sitting next to each other in the 179.
-  I was able to make up the queen dinette into a bed very quickly so decided a permanent bed, while nice, is not a deal breaker.
-  I really preferred the tv/entertainment location.
-  While nowhere near the counter space of the 179...the counter is quite deep.  It can work when you consider most of our things will be in the garage.

I definitely understand why the 179 and 178 are the most popular.  There is a wonderful feeling sitting in them and they definitely "show" better.  At the end of the day, the 182 just keeps calling me every time I go try and talk myself out of it.

I sure wish I could have compared it to the 181, I still think that might have won the day.  I just really don't want to drive 8 hours round trip just to view one.

Thanks for asking!
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 5:18pm
Can't wait to see what ends up happening here.  Just glad to see more love for our G models!  :)

The 181g even though you can't see one yourself really is a great one, what you would have seen if you could get the chance to hang in one is that the floorplan is just completely open, no weird corners or closed in hallways, just one big open room.

I will say the breakfast nook half moon bar thing is nothing much more than a catch all for whatever is in our hands in a day to day camping routine.  But if someone wanted to use it as a work station like you suggest that would work well I think.  Just a matter of how comfy you'd be on the stools, but I'm sure there are other options.

But anyways 182g, another great model.  I think for the reasons you listed about why you like it are the ones that you'll say later is why you love that model.

We'll be anxious to see how it turns out, and to welcome you and your wife into the exciting Podding world!  We'll be thrilled to have you out there with us!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>