Topic ClosedEverglades national park

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Everglades national park
    Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 6:41pm
We camp at everglades national park every year for the last 20 years. We prefer to camp at long pine key camp ground in the park. This is the first time for the rpod. This camp ground does not have showers and first time we used the shower in the pod. All went well. Had the rdome set up and a lot of questions and tours. Even had another rpod owner that was interested in the dome (they did not have one ). R dome worked well and was a definitely positive experience. This park has large sites and plenty of room rdome.
   This park has two campgrounds Lpk and flamingo. Lpk is first come and no reservation available. Never had a problem getting a site and only fills up during holidays but sites still available if you arrive early. Flush toilets ,sinks and utility sink for dish washing if needed.
Sites are $16 a night and $8 a night golden access. No hookups but does have water fill and sewer dump. Bugs not very bad during winter months,but some mosquitoes.

Flamingo has some hookup( electric only) reservation required unless your very lucky. Some sites available first come but don't count on it. The rpod would fit in A loop or trailer loop. They do have solar showers available at some of the restrooms but you can use the solar showers at these no matter what if you want to. $16 night no hookup and $8 golden access. Not sure what
Electric sites cost. At flamingo you get extras depending on the year( no seems and mosquitoes). Both campgrounds I think are closed during the summer (bugs very bad).
J. - 2011 rpod 171
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 7:23pm
Wow, it looks pretty wild out there. Very interesting, I'm going to put this on my list of possible stops. Thanks for posting this. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 8:46pm
  When I lived in Miami I would often drive down to visit the park for the day to get away from the city. I camped once at long pine key out of season in a tent we were brave there were about four other campers. During the wet season the bugs will drive you crazy, but it is nice when there is not the seasonal crowd. Mahogany Hammock was my favorite place to visit in the park. I live on the west coast now and haven't been to the park in a long time to far for a one day trip.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 8:57am
There are a lot of interesting sights in the park. Plenty of alligators and birds to see. The park also has about 400 salt water crocodiles in resident and a few usually can be seen behind the marina at flamingo sunning on the mud at the concrete bridge. No tour needed. We have canoed in different locations in the park(ours) but they can be rented at the marina. They also rent kayaks, small power boats and house boats. You can use the kayaks and canoes on the canals,lakes,or out on the floida bay. Our favorite site to see is the anahinga trail. Plenty of birds and gators to view. It is a raised boardwalk above the glades(1/4 mile walking loop). Day or night it is interesting.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
Ninjamini View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 8:31pm
Still there. I love in Broward and would love a tour if you want to show It off. Love to see one in use.
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 2:51pm
Not there any longer. Keep checking out info on the form. Try to find a dealer that has some to check out. While in the everglades, I showed the rpod to at least 6 other couples. We had the rdome setup and it was a plus. It has its + & - s.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply