Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp Grounds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCamping at Acadia National Park

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping at Acadia National Park
    Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 10:38pm
We're planning a trip to Acadia this summer and wonder if anyone has suggestions for a good pod site at either Blackwell or Seawall campgrounds. We've tent camped in some private campgrounds in the past but now we'd like to try the National Park ones. Any experiences there? We don't need hookups or a generator and would prefer to be in an area that doesn't allow generators.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 7:29pm
It is a great area to visit. We have been there at least 7 or 8 times. We have camped at both and preferred seawall. I liked being close to the coast (10 minutes walk to the coast or a very short drive). Reservations are almost a most now days for this park. We were there 3 years ago without reservations and was able to get a spot.we arrived very early in a.m. and got in line for the few spots available on a first come basis. We are familiar enough with the area to get a site at a private campground if necessary. We are also retired and hate to be on a schedule. Camping is/ has changed with reservations.

Make sure you visit Scootic point (it is part of Acadia national park) if you have the time. It is a scenic drive. It takes about an hour drive over to the point ,it is across French mans bay from from Bar harbor. Cadillac mountain is a must. Great vista view. Eat lots of lobsters and scallops. Weather can be ify in the area. We have had some great weather years and some not so great.I like going up late July or in August (less rain it seems).
J. - 2011 rpod 171
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 9:48pm
We've also been there 6 or 7 times in the past 40 years. Reservations have been necessary at the Nat'l Parks as long as I can remember. We found a good private campground many years ago and used that for our tent camping, but I'd like to try the Parks this time. Besides the location, what did you like about Seawall? Our basic needs are shade and a little privacy. Our dog likes waterfront sites, but that isn't going to happen there.
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 12:12pm
Blackwell sites were small and closer to each other. It had more trees which means more shade. It was also busier ,it seemed. Seawall had granite fireplaces and the spot we had was on the end (more privacy). I cannot remember if room enough for dome. Blackwell probably not
able to use dome.Blackwell is closer to downtown Bar harbor. We just had a better experience at seawall. I enjoyed being closer to the beach/coast.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 9:48pm
Sounds good. I'm leaning towards Seawall. They have a mixed RV/tent area that doesn't allow generators. We remember the closeness to the water too.  Thanks for the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply