This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet battery run down????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let battery run down????
    Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 9:31pm
We've been coming back from 4 day trips out to Death Valley, park the R-Pod, and basically leave it be, letting the batteries run down until we are ready to go out again a few days later, when we recharge. The batteries have never totally run down, but are definitely almost there. Should we be keeping them at a higher level while it's parked, not being used? Thanks-we are in the midst of learning so much!

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 10:07pm
Oh yes, letting the battery run down allows them to sulphate, which means you are reducing the capacity permanently.  Between trips the battery should be completely disconnected from the pod - usually people install disconnect switches or fuses to make this easy.  The LPG detector and the fridge control board use a decent amount of electricity and will completely drain the battery within a week or two.  Every 30 days the battery should be reconnected and the pod plugged in overnight to recharge.  Lead acid batteries self-discharge enough in that time that they need to be topped off.  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Skyward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 11:41pm
Thanks-where do folks install the disconnect switch? What type of switch is it-where do you get this? Do I sound confused enough??
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 11:47pm
Welcome Skyward. Since moving to Arizona I bought a small solar charger from O'Reilly Auto Parts, it's about 12 inches square that I leave on the battery. I disconnect the battery because it is not big enough to charge it up with the LPG detector on line. Plenty of sun out here to make it worth while and beats plugging into electric once a month or so. Goose
      PS. I had a disconnect on the battery but it failed and would not work went you needed it too, I think that it had corrosion on the inside of it.
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 1:22am
Originally posted by Skyward

Thanks-where do folks install the disconnect switch? What type of switch is it-where do you get this? Do I sound confused enough??

Sounds like it's about time to get familiar with the site's nifty search capability.  Click on the Search link at the top and select Advanced Search.  Then fill out the form as per the following, and then click the 'Start Search' button.  PS:  Don't miss the stuff on the right side of the form.  You may have to scroll to the right to see it in the image below.

Hope it helps.  You'll find a lot of discussion on battery disconnecting and, if my memory's any good, there are some pix of some installs various members have done.  Good luck & have fun (searching's fun .. you can find an amazing amount of info on different topics).

John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 9:19am
The more important question is what's causing your battery to be almost dead after sitting only a few days? That's not normal. Your healthy battery should last for many weeks with only the hardwired propane leak detector drawing it down.

If you're running the fridge on battery all that time between trips, that battery hog will for sure shorten your battery's life. Stop doing that right now and switch the fridge to propane.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Skyward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 10:39am
We don't have the fridge running at all between trips, but we may have a battery problem, since it runs down so fast. I'll continue to research-thanks all. There is an amazing wealth of info on this forum-thanks to those who take the time to help!
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 11:13am
Just to muddy the waters further, if you're running your fridge on battery on the way home from your trip and your tow vehicle isn't putting out a charge to the rpod, you've got discharged batteries already when you get  home. 

So yes, check the battery, and make sure your tow vehicle is charging that battery when you're underway. There are approximately a half million posts on tow vehicles and charging on this forum so as Luv2Q says, use that search function and let us all know what the problem is/was.

We all want to learn how you attacked and fixed the problem. That's how we all got so smart. Ha.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 11:44am
We used a switch we got at a local boat shop. I have seen them at RV shops also.

ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015 at 6:49pm
You shouldn't let them get discharged below 70% on a regular basis. And you shouldn't let them discharge below 50% if you can help it.
 Letting the battery drain to very low levels, WILL shorten their life expectancy. If you regularly recharge before the 70-80% threshhold, they will last YEARS. Always bear in mine to check the electrolyte levels (water levels) and check the cells with an acid tester bulb once a year.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>