R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2015 Carbon Monoxide Sensor - Event Date: 28 Dec 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 2015 Carbon Monoxide Sensor
    Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 7:55pm
I picked up my 179 from storage today and once I got home the CO/LP sensor started beeping. The propane is not even connected. I pulled the fuse, reset it and I'm still getting a chirp. The battery looks good and I am now plugged in to the house. The sensor its self doesn't seem to take any batteries, its hard wired.

What on earth could be tripping it? Its four months old!

Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:54pm
If the battery was connected while in storage, the sensor may have drained it and you will then get a "low voltage" situation that will set the alarm off. It should be fine after the battery is charged. Most of us disconnect and/or remove the battery while in storage so it doesn't get discharged by the draw from the sensor. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by lillypad

the CO/LP sensor started beeping

Have things changed?  On my r-pod, I have a separate LP detector (hard wired into the system), separate CO detector (battery operated), and separate smoke detector (also battery operated).

Anyway...  The LP detector isn't particularly easy to clear.  The button on the LP detector is for testing and won't reset the detector, neither will cycling the power to the detector.  Generally, for me, getting the damnable thing to quiet down involves opening all the windows and doors and getting on my hands and knees and repeatedly blowing across the detector.

I've never had a genuine LP alarm.  But, it has been set off (many times) by my dog farting in the vicinity of the detector.  I've also found that plumbing antifreeze sets it off, so I'll make sure to leave the door and several windows open while winterizing and dewinterizing the trailer.  Apart from that, I suspect that some cleaning supplies and perhaps alcohol (or medicinal rubbing alcohol) could set it off as well.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Outbound

I've never had a genuine LP alarm.  But, it has been set off (many times) by my dog farting in the vicinity of the detector.  ...

LOL
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 7:20pm
Well... the LP detector is located under the table (one of the few safe places in the r-pod where a dog can get out from underfoot) and its pretty much at butt level to the poor beast while she's laying down.  Every now and then she'll get comfortable in her fort under there and accidentally set off the alarm Ouch
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply