Topic ClosedSeeking recommendations - AR/southern MO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking recommendations - AR/southern MO
    Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 2:26pm
We are planning a trip in early May to the Ozarks- Arkansas and Missouri. We love state parks, but we also are of the wimpy category of campers and prefer full hook ups. Sewer is nice, but not a necessity. Would love to be on or near a body of water - we have kayaks and enjoy paddling and/or fishing. We also are hikers, so hiking trails are almost a must. I have looked online at Lake Ouachita SP and would love to hear anyone's experiences there.

Thanks Fellow PodPeople!
Melissa (and Buck)
2015 RP 178 aka Podimus Minimus
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 9:36pm
It's been quite a few years since I was at Lake Ouachita SP but I remember it as being a pretty place. Was at Hot Springs two years ago .. very cool little town.  It's a pretty part of AR.

The Mountain Home area of AR has some good camping areas.  Beautiful scenery but sure not easy to get to.  (Or maybe I just did it the hard way.)

Stockton Lake in SE Missouri (just north of Springfield) has some good camping areas & good fishing.  A little more off the beaten path.

Sorry I can't offer more.  Hope this helps.  My in-laws lived in Eureka Springs for several years and now live near Springfield, so I've roamed the area quite a bit.  It's pretty country.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 6:52am
missybuck:  just turned on computer, saw this, but need to head out.  i have spent alot of time canoeing/camping southern missouri/ozarks.  will be getting back to you soon.  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
MissyBuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 8:40am
Thanks hogone- looking forward to it!
Melissa (and Buck)
2015 RP 178 aka Podimus Minimus
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 1:36pm
for starters, there is some awesome canoeing rivers in southern missouri; curent river, eleven point, northfork of the white, and the jacks fork.  current, eleven point, and northfork are spring fed with many beautiful springs right on the river.  current and jacks are part of the national scenic riverways and eleven point national park service.  you can find excellent maps on the web.  excellent camping on the rivers as well, several national park campgrounds although i'm not sure if they have sewer hookups.  lots of primitive camping accesible to the pod.   be back later with more!!  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 7:05pm
Only a handful of Missouri State Parks have full hookup, but have elec/water sites and all have dump stations.  We have not had a problem overfilling our gray water tanks, but use the campground shower houses.  Arkansas parks have more campgrounds with full hookups.  Most southern MO parks are in great areas.  If you are looking to get away from it all, I would avoid Lake of the Ozarks, Bennett 
Spring and Table Rock State Parks as they can get quite crowded.  Roaring River, Mountauk, Current River, Meramac, Johnson's Shut-Ins have more of a rustic feel and beautiful surroundings - but I would avoid them on the weekends.  In Arkansas we like Devil's Den, Mount Nebo, Petit Jean but they have little access to water.  Buffalo River area is gorgeous and has great floating, but I've never camped at any of those parks.   
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 7:25pm
just to clarify one thing from mopods post.  there is alot of various camping opportunities on the current river(through the national scenic riverways), but "current river state park" does not have camping.  if you go to the national scenic riverways website, an excellent map of the campgrounds/areas.  peck ranch conservation area has primitive camping and now holds a fairly good herd of elk.  the most developed campgrounds with likely hook-ups (probably no sewer) is round springs, alley springs, pulltight, and van buren.  more to come!!!!   hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 7:41pm
oops, and mountauk (state park) as mopod stated.  all 4 of these are on the current river
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
MoPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by hogone

just to clarify one thing from mopods post.  there is alot of various camping opportunities on the current river(through the national scenic riverways), but "current river state park" does not have camping. hogone

Hogone's correct, there is no "Current River State Park", we usually use Round Spring as it allows access with a short drive to the Missouri and Arkansas paddling rivers.  Hogone, thanks for keeping me honest.
Bill & Nancy
2015 RPod 179
Previously 2010 RPod 176
2014 Explorer Sport
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 8:48pm
mopod:  there is a "current river state park", it just doesn't have camping.  it is the old alton club property.  the parks got this land several years ago.  if i understand correctly, someday may have camping. i'm not even sure they allow access, even though right on the river.   i also recently read that mountauk (headwaters of the current river) is adding a big new loop with full hookups (yes, i think sewer).  its under construction as we speak.  missybuck:  the current river area is beautiful, but as mentioned, does get crowded on weekends in the summer.  if your coming early may, it shouldn't be to bad.  don't rule out the eleven point!!!!!  hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>