R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp Grounds
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Fredericksburg, TX - Lady Bird Johonson Municipal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFredericksburg, TX - Lady Bird Johonson Municipal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fredericksburg, TX - Lady Bird Johonson Municipal
    Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 9:19am
I was gently reminded (thanks John) that I had mentioned reviewing our stay at LB Municipal Park after our stay last weekend. I like to end on a positive note, so I will tell y'all the negative parts first. This is an RV park. As with most RV parks the spaces are a bit close. They aren't so close that you feel like sardines, but definitely closer than at a state park. The campground is also right next to the city airport, but it's a town of 10k, so one plane a day isn't a problem for me. Now on to the good stuff. The park (which includes a golf course, picnic areas, walking trail, a small lake and a sports park) is very nice and well kept. The bathrooms are older, but clean and well serviced. As I said, the spots are close and some are kinda short, but that is a benefit for Podders. Most likely, since Pods are short, they will most likely put you in a spot on the outer edge of the park and you will have no one in front or in back of you. And when we go back I am going to request one of those spots if possible. The park is close to town, but far enough away, so you don't feel like you are in town. The registration is very old school. You just call. If they have a spot for the days you want to visit, you give them your name and phone number. That's it. No way to make reservations online and no giving out your CC info either. The spots are ok level-wise and the hook ups are fine.

As far as the area, there is plenty to do. Fredericksburg is a quaint little town (although growing quickly, unfortunately) Lots of good restaurants if you don't want to cook in the Pod. The Wildseed Farm is an interesting place to visit - especially in the spring. Lots of shopping in town too. (Be sure to hit Dooley's five and dime - if you're a baby boomer you will appreciate it). I am copy and pasting a link to my FB post of photos. Even if you don't have a FB acct you should be able to view it. I didn't really take that many photos of the park itself, sorry! Too much other good stuff to photograph :)

https://m.facebook.com/melissa.schwartz.osten/albums/10152917361729396/?ref=bookmark
Melissa (and Buck)
2015 RP 178 aka Podimus Minimus
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 10:22am
Dont miss Luckenbach if nearby.  It is ine of those spots where time stands still.  Last time there I sat with a coldbeer under the live oaks and listened to a couple of guys singing and playing washboards.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
MissyBuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 10:24am
Also, wanted to add that we hiked in Lost Maples SNA and did a drive thru of the campground there and it is nice too. Very remote as far as being near "civilization". Some windy roads to get there, though. And for future reference, if you visit just to view nature during peak foliage season, go early. We got there in the morning and were exiting the park about 1-2pm and the line of cars just to enter the park was a good 100 deep. Parking is limited too. In "off season" it is not like this.

Hopefully this is a hyperlink -

https://m.facebook.com/melissa.schwartz.osten/albums/10152917361729396/?ref=bookmark
Melissa (and Buck)
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 12:58pm
Ahh, thanks, Melissa!  Nice write-up.  Love that part of the State, esp this time of year.  Lost Maples, the Willow Loop .. all pretty.

And for WWII buffs not familiar with Fredericksburg, it's the boyhood home of Chester Nimitz.  There's even a pretty nice little museum there.  Fun town to visit.

Thanks again, Melissa.  Makes me anxious to get back over there! Smile
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
MissyBuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 1:25pm
Yes, John, I agree! That museum is very nice and worth seeing. We have been there, but not in a while.

And for you wine lovers - wineries GALORE. And in the spring - peach picking. Best peaches in Texas. :)
Melissa (and Buck)
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
 Post Reply Post Reply