Topic ClosedPahaQue Awning vs Rdome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: PahaQue Awning vs Rdome
    Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 8:06pm
Has anyone gotten the PahaQue awning yet?  I am torn between that and the Rdome.  I have had PahaQue products before and was very impressed not only with the product, but with their customer service.  When I contacted them, they said the volume of orders was high, so obviously someone is ordering them.........I just wondered what podders out there thought of it.  

Thanks!
Mary

Mary and Tucker (my sheltie)
2015 r-pod 178 (lilypod)
2013 Toyota Tacoma
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 9:48pm
I have both the Dometic r-dome and the PahaQue visor; I've had the r-dome for five years and picked-up the visor in May of this year.  They're two very different things, with two very different uses - the r-dome is a large, convertible screen room with storm/privacy flaps, while the visor is a lightweight, small-footprint shade.

The r-dome takes me 10-12 minutes to put up; the visor 7-8 minutes (both on my own).

Both are somewhat awkward to put up.  I expect that with the larger screen-room like r-dome.  But, I was surprised to find how fiddly the visor was - it stays up based on a tensioned fibreglass pole and can be quite frustrating at times to get it set correctly.  If you're much under my height (6'0"), you'll definitely need a step stool to put up either one.

The r-dome is quite large and you can easily fit a picnic table and a couple of lawnchairs under there, while two lawnchairs and a small side table is about all that will be shaded by the visor.

Frankly, I'm not that impressed with the PahaQue visor.  Its got quite a small footprint and its a bit fiddly to put up.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 10:01pm
Great review(s).

fred

2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 12:51pm
Unless PahaQue has gotten better in their Quality control I would not recommend them. I lost money in the dealing with them. Never got a product that worked.

Edit by Rpodcamper.com - Dec 1, 2014 - 3:34 PM - My comments about PahaQue are my own and based off past experience with this company.  Your experience may differ ..........  
M3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 8:07pm
Thanks for the thoughts.  PahaQue has a new, larger awning that has storm flaps for the sides.  Seems like they have developed something that would be more comparable to the rdome.  Was wondering if anyone had gotten one of those yet.  I would not get the visor as I want something with a much larger coverage area.

Thanks all!
Mary and Tucker (my sheltie)
2015 r-pod 178 (lilypod)
2013 Toyota Tacoma
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by M3

Thanks for the thoughts.  PahaQue has a new, larger awning that has storm flaps for the sides.  Seems like they have developed something that would be more comparable to the rdome.  Was wondering if anyone had gotten one of those yet.  I would not get the visor as I want something with a much larger coverage area.

Thanks all!

I know the owner of the first prototype of Pahaques Rdome equivalent.  He likes it a lot.  Others have and are ordering them.  Last time I spoke with PahaQue they told me they have a lot of orders for them now.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 11:12pm
The one thing to point out, the new awning doesn't do anything a dome doesn't, but the dome DOES do stuff the awning doesn't.. 
pepmac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 11:44am
We have the new awning for the R Pod designed just for the R Pod I personally like the dome room better. If having a place to dry the dome is not a problem for you if you should have to go home with it wet do the dome a video of how to put it up and it is in my opinion just as easy as the awning .
pepmac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2014 at 11:45am
We have one and prefer the dome.
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 9:50pm
We really like the dome.  I do wish the hook-n-loop (i.e., "Velcro") fasteners did a better job in high winds.  Had the thing blow completely out of the track one night.  I blame that more on me, though, than the dome.  Moral of the story: if setting up in windy conditions, pay a little extra attention to anchoring.
John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>