R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR dome track fit issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R dome track fit issues
    Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 1:59pm
I have read thru previous posts about r dome problems. Only one addressed an issue that we are having. The "tape" part - the vinyl bead that goes into the track on the Pod - ours doesn't stay in the track. Either the track is too large or the tape stuff is too small. From what I read, there is version of the r dome that has a larger tape thingy? If this is true, should we contact FR or contact the dealer?

Thanks Pop Peeps.
Melissa (and Buck)
2015 RP 178 aka Podimus Minimus
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:21pm
Missybuck,

There were/are two different sizes of track/bead floating around. The early Pods had a smaller track and smaller bead. The newer Pods (several years now) have had the larger version. It sounds like you have the new larger track (good) and an older R-Dome with the smaller (not so good) bead. If you bought the Pod new from a dealer you need to go back to them and get the right dome. If you bought used from an individual you're probably on your own. Lots of folks bought Pod without domes and latter bought the domes from elsewhere. Confusion and mismatches ensued.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
MissyBuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:35pm
We bought our R pod new just a couple of weeks ago and it was included in the deal.    They had to order it because they didn't have any in stock, so we had to make an additional trip up there to get it. FR was supposed to drop-ship it to us but they sent it to the dealership instead. I really don't want to make that trip for this. *I reserve the right to whine about a 2.5 hour round trip.
Melissa (and Buck)
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
Luv2Q View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:49pm
Well, the good news is that you now have some good info on size variations (which I doubt your sales person is even aware of) so you might be to get something accomplished by phone before you make the trip.  And, hey, you live in TX.  Everything is 2+ hours away! Think of it as a good thing. Smile

John & Teri
Tundra 5.7L V8 / RP 180
E2 WDH / Integrated controller (POS) replaced by Tekonsha P3
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by MissyBuck

We bought our R pod new just a couple of weeks ago and it was included in the deal.    They had to order it because they didn't have any in stock, so we had to make an additional trip up there to get it. FR was supposed to drop-ship it to us but they sent it to the dealership instead. I really don't want to make that trip for this. *I reserve the right to whine about a 2.5 hour round trip.

Ah so. That explains it. Either the dealer ordered the wrong part or the factory shipped the wrong part. Easily corrected. I'd start with the dealer by telephone. If no joy, call FR Warranty or Parts. You are owed the correct part under their warranty and it's really the dealer's responsibility.

BTW the part of the dome that fits in the track is called a Keder. I knew that, but age is creeping in Stern Smile.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
MissyBuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 3:38pm
Luv - you said it - it's at least 2 hours to anywhere in TX and most of a day's drive outa the state!

Charlie - thanks for the correct term for that vinyl bead thingamajigger. At least I can SOUND like I know what I'm talking about when I call.
Melissa (and Buck)
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 4:15pm
Well you may know the term, but don't expect the dealer to know. Can you see a blank stare on the phone Smile?

"The sun has riz and the sun has set and here I iz in Texas yet"...........
Charlie
Northern Colorado
MissyBuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 3:00pm
Here is a current update. And I am a bit perplexed. I contacted the dealership and they in turn contacted FR. FR's reaction was 2 fold. They were wondering if we were connecting the r dome to the pod incorrectly. It's pretty straightforward procedure, so, no. And secondly they have never heard that there are 2 different sizes of keder on the r domes. They say that it isn't true. they also asked that I send photos, so I did.

The bottom line is that either the track is too large or the keder is too small. Either way, we go camping this weekend without an r dome.
Melissa (and Buck)
3/4 Ton Suburban TV
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 3:17pm
They didn't ask FR about the 2 different sizes or they would have told them!  Direct your dealer to this thread, we'll be happy to discuss it with them.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by MissyBuck

Here is a current update. And I am a bit perplexed. I contacted the dealership and they in turn contacted FR. FR's reaction was 2 fold. They were wondering if we were connecting the r dome to the pod incorrectly. It's pretty straightforward procedure, so, no. And secondly they have never heard that there are 2 different sizes of keder on the r domes. They say that it isn't true. they also asked that I send photos, so I did.

The bottom line is that either the track is too large or the keder is too small. Either way, we go camping this weekend without an r dome.

Your dealer didn't talk to anyone who actually works at RPod then.  Domes and rail sizes come up all the time to their department.  Smile

Pods from 2008 until mid 2010 by manufacture date have the small rail on their pods and will require an R-dome with the smaller keder.

"Most" Pods made in the 4th quarter and after of the 2010 production year and up until now will have the large rail and use the larger keder.

Now Forest River only carries one size of the R-Dome.  It is the 13' large keder variety.  I do not even think they have any of the remainder smaller R-domes at the warehouse at the Rpod Plant.  Last I heard from them owners with the old rail who need a new dome now have to also change out the rail on the Pod to the larger size to accommodate the domes that they have.

A very special and unique set of circumstances has occurred for you to have received a dome that doesn't fit.  

An easy way to figure some of it out though Missy, what colors are the fabric of your R-dome?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>