R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPolar vortex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polar vortex
    Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 12:17pm
HELP  we are in zion, utah with plans to go to moab, but will be caught by weather in the teens at night.  should we winterize our 2014 179?( our pod will not be in winter weather this winter as it will be stored in tuscon.) head for warmer climes?  how much cold at night can our pods plumbing handle and for that matter how much cold can we handle at night in the pod?  thanks in advance for any advice.  will go to Page, Az for the night and then decide. Ouch
RescapePod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 1:44pm
You can stay warm in the 179 with the furnace or even better a elec heater with shore power. The issue is water lines freezing with the temps in the teens. The lines are not freeze protected and the tanks are open on the bottom of the pod. In my opinion I would head south ASAP or if you must stay north then then take 45 min and 2 gall of antifreeze and winterize. Don't forget the hot water tank by pass and removing the electrode. I have a new 179. You have to remove the bed to get to the bypass and the suction hose for the antifreeze. I would go south if at all possible
2015 R-Pod 179
2013 Chevy K1500
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 4:44pm
I've camped at 10 F several times in our pod (the water system was winterized), you'll be fine from a comfort standpoint.  I used a small space heater and left a window and the vent cracked open to control moisture - remember that each person will lose 1 liter of water every 24 hours, or about 1/3 of a liter each night while you sleep.  In warm weather that will leave you with a sauna inside, in cold weather condensation on the walls and windows will be extreme, unless you crack the window and vent.

As for the pod, teens are way below the point where you should winterize.  The rule of thumb is it can go just below freezing for a few hours w/o a problem.  However, if you make sure the fresh water tank and both waste tanks are empty, run the water pump a few seconds to be sure the fresh water uptake line is cleared, keep the lower cabinets open to get heat to the water lines, keep the water heater on and keep the furnace or electric heater going so it is a comfortable temperature for you, you'll be ok for a few days until you get where it is warmer.  If you are looking at temps like that permanently, or when you are on the road, it is time to winterize right now.  

See the link in my signature for instructions.  It only takes about a gallon of RV antifreeze and about 20 minutes.  You don't have to pull the water heater anode rod every year so if you are in a hurry don't worry about it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
beachmaster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 5:46pm
thanks for the help...we are in page, az. plenty warm and no freeze in the forecast. incidentally, had heavy cross winds on the way here.  the wdh and anti sway was great. glad i followed the advice on here. thanks to all
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 6:45pm
We camped in Yellowstone in September 2014. Temperature got as low as 23 degrees. The pod was not winterized and suffered no ill effects. It seems to me that the biggest issue is the fresh water line as it exits the tank and travels a short distance outside before reentering the pod.
Enjoy your trip..
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 7:21pm
an update...the cold chased us almost to the az/ mexico border where we stored our trailer.  several old hands advised winterizing so attempted to do but, drained everything, but no line to pump antifreeze?? no bypass valve, no quick disconnect with extra 2 ft line---nothing. will find first forest river dealer and demand fix and stop on our way to mx to finish job.  frustrating
headcold View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 7:40pm
I've camped in a winterized pod at -2F during hunting trips.  Just kept the furnace going at night.  It got to 16F in the day. It's so dry in MT that keeping a window cracked is not absolutely necessary, but doing so keeps water from condensing on the windows.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by beachmaster

an update...the cold chased us almost to the az/ mexico border where we stored our trailer.  several old hands advised winterizing so attempted to do but, drained everything, but no line to pump antifreeze?? no bypass valve, no quick disconnect with extra 2 ft line---nothing. will find first forest river dealer and demand fix and stop on our way to mx to finish job.  frustrating

I think there was a model year, maybe 2013, where they didn't include anything but I think they've gone back.  I discovered my Salem doesn't have anything, but the solution is fairly easy, just a scrap length of hose 3 feet long.  Loosen the intake hose on the pump and pull it off, then slip the other hose on temporarily.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 8:58am
Originally posted by techntrek

Originally posted by beachmaster

I think there was a model year, maybe 2013, where they didn't include anything but I think they've gone back.  I discovered my Salem doesn't have anything, but the solution is fairly easy, just a scrap length of hose 3 feet long.  Loosen the intake hose on the pump and pull it off, then slip the other hose on temporarily.

Should be the FloJet water pump then if there is no bypass installed.  And often times the accessory hoses are lost, sometimes not put in etc.

Keep us posted on how it turns out!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 9:21am
campers world has a kit for it, so all set to winterize as soon as we are back in az. is it necessary to pull the anode to drain the hot water tank? 1 1/16 socket? hate to be such an idiot...thanks for the help and patience. by the way on our 2014 179, you can,t just loosen the line and pull it off. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>