R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Pump Help - Event Date: 25 Oct 2014 - 12 Dec 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Water Pump Help
    Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 10:46pm
Hello Friends. Need a little advice regarding my water pump. 1st time Rpod'r and winterizing (2014 172). I put a bypass valve on my water pump and inserted the blank hose into the antifreeze bottle and nothing happened. Played with the valve, took off the bypass and attached the hose directly to the water pump and the pump is running but not getting suction. If anything I'm getting a slight output from the hose. Bubbles very slightly when I put the hose in the antifreeze bottle. Pretty sure I have the intake side correct (has the filter on that side). So, Am I missing something obvious?   Any suggestions?
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 11:54pm
You put the bypass valve on?  I should have come with a anti-freeze pickup tube and valve installed at the factory.  Make sure the filter is tight, they come loose easily, allowing the pump to pickup air.  Check for a split hose too.  I have never had a problem picking up prime and there isn't much more on that side of the system than a filter and a valve.
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
4peas in a pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 12:14am
Mine didn't have a bypass installed. Tight fit getting under the cabinet so will look for splits in the hoses again. nothing obvious but will pull out a mirror tomorrow to see if I can get a better view. Thanks for your response.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 3:50pm
You'll either have a bypass line already installed, or a stand alone detachable hose somewhere in your Pod.  If you have the later your water pump will have a quick disconnect option at the point where your fresh water tank connects to the pump.  You'd disconnect that and attach the "should be provided" hose that came with the Pod.
codycountry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 5:16pm
If it's all tight with no air leaks, then you must have installed it on the output side of the water pump rather than the input (suction) side.  Sounds like it since you said it's blowing some little air bubbles.  Switch sides and see what happens.  Make sure you set the bypass lever on your winterizing splitter.  Also fyi--contrary to some folks advice, my 2013 177 didn't come with a winterizing kit, I had to purchase and install  one myself.  The Flowmaster pump on my 177 has a quick connect, the other pump found on the same model year rpods has a screw in bypass fitting, so not all pods are the same.    The pump on a 2013 rpod 177, my model at least, is under the bed.  They are like snowflakes....
4peas in a pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 10:59pm
Thanks CodyC. I'll need to play around with it more. Pretty sure I'm using the correct side of the pump (side with the filter). I can also see that the other side is going to the faucet lines. I took the bypass off completely to see if I can feel suction and nothing there. I'm wondering if something hung up when I blew out the lines. I only used 20psi. I haven't had a bunch of time to play with it so will try and see if I can figure it out this week. All input is greatly appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply