R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedheating and cooling options?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: heating and cooling options?
    Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:39pm
I am wondering if anyone can help me out.  I am close to purchasing a new r-pod.  Every unit on their lot has a standard slide dial for the furnace and the a/c is controlled by dials on the a/c itself.

Every picture i have seen on the web site and every other r-pod I have seen for sale has the dometic digital thermostat and a different looking air conditioner (that i don't believe has controls on the a/c itself).

The dealer tells me this is how they come from the factory and the controls are on the A/C itself because it is not ducted.  I realize it wouldn't be ducted but I am still confused why the setup looks different than every other new unit i have seen.  I am just trying to make sure I am not getting an inferior setup.  They claim Forest River's web site must just not be updated but i am looking at the new brochure with new colors.  In all my research I have never seen any mention of different options for the cooling system.

Help?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:01pm
Just replied to you on the FR forum.  I'll repeat the answer here.

The digital controls have been on all models for years, and the dial controls right on the A/C were only used in the first model year (2009).

What I didn't add on the other forum, is if those really are 2015 models it is possible the dealer is ordering them w/o A/C from FR, then is installing old used A/Cs into his models to save a buck, or old but new stock (therefore cheaper).  I would be very suspicious of the dealer.  2015s come with digital thermostats, period.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:02pm
Something seems bogus here. I'd try to contact Forest River by phone and get a definitive answer. Don't take " I think" for an answer. I suspect the units came from FR that way (but see Techntrek's comments), but you need to know why. Are they changing the design, and if so, why? Are they just temporarily out of digital thermostats? What's up?

The Dometic digital thermostats have been cussed at length, but mostly just misunderstood. They generally work well and are easier to set than the A/C mounted or cheaper heater controls. I call the slider controls "grope and hope" since they have no real calibration. Also, stats work better when mounted on the wall away from the heater or A/C.

Have patience when trying to contact FR and let us know what you find out.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
green18 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:28pm
Thanks so much for the feedback!  Sorry I didn't see the reply on the other one...running out of time before the deal so thought I might get more eyeballs here.

Their exact reply was that this is how they come from the factory and the controls are on the A/C because it is not ducted.  When I again questioned it they said "I don’t really see what your problem is regarding the AC and thermostat. This is EXACTLY as the latest production from R-POD, otherwise you can get the older unit."    I am sort of taking pause for the exact reason you are saying...I have never had as much luck with the dials right on an A/C.  My current camper has the dometic and I enjoy the operation.  I am also nervous about having an A/C different from everyone else on here because that immediately limits my support group.  I have no idea whether it is just as good or worse or what.

For those of you with the digital thermostat, I assume the one thermostat controls both furnace and A/C?  
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 3:11pm
yes, one thermostat controls both. hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by green18

..... the controls are on the A/C because it is not ducted....  When I again questioned it they said "I don’t really see what your problem is regarding the AC and thermostat. This is EXACTLY as the latest production from R-POD, otherwise you can get the older unit."   

Ducting has only a minor third order relationship to the type and placement of the thermostat. That said, my Camplite came exactly as you describe and the A/C works OK, but I would have preferred the digital control. The heater had the cheap Grope and Hope control which I immediately replaced with an inexpensive digital unit. As for the rest of their reply, I could climb on my soapbox about dealers, but you've probably heard it before Angry. I'd still recommend contact and/or confirmation from FR. And, there are other dealers who might appreciate you business more.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
green18 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 6:52pm
Thanks again everyone.  I don't think it is that big of a deal and their prices are good but I don't think I am getting any sort of break over a unit that has the digital.  At the end of the day if they were saying they order it this way to keep prices down I would understand and adjust my mindset.  They seem shocked that I would suggest there are any other options out there and it just leaves me with a bad vibe.  I mean the brochures in the lobby show a different AC and thermostat.  I understand the digital can be a little wonky to figure out but I really liked the one-stop location for heating and cooling in my toy hauler.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:04pm
Definitely a bad vibe with them, especially since they are flat-out lying.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
green18 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:21pm
I am going to hold off and revisit in the spring.  Really bummed out that I am not joining the club yet but it was probably my last weekend to camp (iowa).  Thanks again...I will be on the forums because I am getting an r-pod...I just don't like the smoke and mirrors.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 10:51pm
Our 2011 RP-172 has the non digital wall mounted thermostat. It has a slide button on the right to set the temp and a selector button on the left for AC , OFF, Heat. blower on the AC can be set to Auto or On. Simplicity. Never had a problem with it. Set it, Forget It.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>