R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedslide vs non slide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: slide vs non slide
    Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 7:28pm
Hi All not sure if this is the place to post but here goes, I'm looking to buy an R-pod in the near future. we have a pup now other than canvas set up and take down time ect. one thing we want is to be able to pack before we go camping, were wanting a slide due to being cramped for so many years but it looks as if I get one with a slide it will limit the packing before we leave, a slid is not wrote in stone and I sure would like some opinions on the pros and cons of a slide v/s a non slide from the people that own them Thanks, btw 90% of the time it will be just the wife and me plus two small dogs      
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 7:36pm
We have a 177 with slide and do our packing before we leave.  I don't know how slides hurt that.  Our slide has been trouble free. and gives us more room when we are in our pod.  It is us and two small dogs also.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
hogone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:32pm
go with slide!!!   hogone
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:33pm
Well, technically, you do lose a little cupboard space in the slide models, but IMHO its fairly negligible.  I really wouldn't worry about it.  And the slide is so shallow that there's little problem moving around inside the trailer if you do have to keep it closed while loading.

Apart from that, there's always a potential for mechanical problems with a slide, or with water/air infiltration.  But, the vast majority of slide-model owners have had no issues and are very happy.  Again, I wouldn't worry about it.

Basically, I suggest you pick the floorplan that appeals to you.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:26pm

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:39pm
sorry about the earlier post-darn fingers!

I have a 173-a non-slide.  My wife and I have talked a lot about whether we would buy a slide or non-slide if we did it again,  Our concern is all about the floor plan-which one works the best for your situation. there are just 2 of us, we cook  all of our meals inside with a small gas grill outside.  Kitchen counter space is critical for us.  We also use the table/dinette alot for studying maps, computer, etc. we didn't want to break the table area down each night. In our 173, I removed the rear futon (useless) and made a folding double bed. I made it  with a solid plywood top that serves as an additional countertop.  we are now able to leave the dinette set up all the time and have aplenty of kitchen countertop.
my point-look at the way the bedroom , sitting, eating, kitchen areas work for your lifestyle.  the slide does add space-but don't sacrifice function. the non-slide Pod can be fine for 2 people.  Add 2 small dogs and ??????

That's not to say that I wouldn't pick a slider next time-it would just depend.  I would suggest that you don't make your  choice based on slide or non-slide-study the floorplans..

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 10:33pm
We have the 177 slide model. We leave the table up all the time, just the boss and I. At home we leave the slide out all the time, pack the day ahead then leave next day. As was stated before even with the slide in you still have room to pack/load everything. The slide gives you a lot more room to move around on those rainy days....   Good luck on your choices.   
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
RescapePod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 8:26am
Go with the slide. it adds some much "Space" to your interior. We have the 179 and with the slide in we can walk by the table, access all but 1 cabinet in kitchen area and still get to pantry, closet and bed area. At rest stops we do not have to put the slide out to rest , eat lunch or take a nap. Get the RPod that fits you and enjoy !
2015 R-Pod 179
2013 Chevy K1500
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 9:27am
   This would be a good question for a poll. So far everyone that has a slide is happy with it and recommends having one. We have never had a camper with a slide though we have been content not having one. Perhaps if we had the experience of a camper with a slide we would prefer a slide. With other campers there has been some problems but the slides on the r-pods seem to be for the most part trouble free. When I last checked a camper with a slide the insurance is a little more it adds a little weight and requires a little maintenance that is the only negative things I can think of. The positive thing would be extra floor space and not having the feeling of being cramped.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 11:26am
I was against slides, but when I got my Salem I quickly changed my mind.  I don't think I could go back, now.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>