Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Impressions
    Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 6:27pm
After logging 4000 miles on my R pod, several things stand out.  First, sway control is a must on my 4 Runner, glad I opted for it.  Next, I'm having the axle risers put on, this thing is low to the ground, and bent one of my leveling jacks pulling from a campsite.    

I took the mattress out the day I brought it home, and put it out front for whoever gets it first, the trash man or college kids, it's really worthless.  I put in an 8 inch memory foam that is simply awesome for $350,  Serenia Sleep 8-Inch Memory Foam RV Mattress, Short Queen 

I don't expect great work from the RV industry, but man, there's some stuff that just shouldn't happen, like wood filler smeared over the kitchen trim at eye level, never even sanded, just stained over and finished, the rails holding the table as a bed aren't wide enough, so it slips out when put down, the webbing in the bathroom behind the toilet is hung behind the toilet seat, so you can't put the seat up if you put anything in it, and it's hard to keep up when empty, just raise it up 10 inches.   The handles on the kitchen window catches the blinds(was already bent when I took delivery), as it does on all the blinds, if you're not careful to close the latch when you lower the blinds.  Easy fix would be shim out the blinds a half inch or so.  Also, why is their no storage door on both sides of the front storage?  First thing I noticed trying to get my folding chairs out that had slid to the other side of the storage.

I'm criticizing now, but I do love my R Pod, just going to take some work to get it up to snuff.  

Next, as a disclaimer, I'm a high end audiophile junky, and musician, my sound standards are high.  Being said, the Jenson stuff is junk, always has been, and belongs out front with the mattress.  One speaker didn't work, the first day, it's slow as heck loading cd/dvd's(cheap processors/memory) and those are $20 a pair speakers, just awful.   Camping world has this Jensen unit for $319, which should be $3.19.   If you're buying new and ordering, buy your own sound system, TV, and keyless entry(mine worked only about every 4th try, even after resetting, new batteries, etc).  On mine, I think the electronics was all called the Crown Package, which I believe is an $895 option.  You can buy a Pioneer, or Kenwood AM/FM/CD/DVD/Blue Tooth, satellite and Pandora ready, 50 watt per channel, gorgeous sounding system(that won't break!, can upgrade software, etc, etc) for about $325-$350 that is a seriously good system.  Any decent $50 and up pair of speakers are a huge upgrade to the interior speakers.  Even these speakers will sound markedly better under a better receiver, but I'll put mine out front with the mattress, too.   Seems the RV and boat industry in general puts really cheesy sound components in.

Heading back to Austin in a few weeks for a longer stay, pulls great.  Discovered having 36 gal of water on board costs me about 1 1/2 -2 miles per gal.  Adding Power Stop truck brakes to my 4 Runner tomorrow, with stainless steel lines, which give a wonderful firm feel to the brake pedal, so excited about beefing up my stopping power, although the electric brakes work very well, never felt I was being pushed.

I noticed when running the furnace on battery, only the floor fan runs, but when plugged in, the roof ac unit runs.  Anyone know if this is normal?  Can you turn it off?   You just have all that fan noise, and cool air blowing on you when standing.

Peace.    

rcamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 7:21pm
the a/c only runs on 30 amp service. the battery won't run the a/c. i concurr with you my new 178 had some issues like no drip pan in back of the frig. the stereo fuse was blown that is the one behind the stereo not the converter. the speakers are not high end but when camping they aren't to bad i happen to like the mattress. they don't take notice to detail anymore these things are mass produced from f.r and the workers are low paid inexperienced  at what they do. ithink most folks have problems but some won't admit it   
gone camping
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 8:08pm
Welcome.  With their popularity, the goal now at the factory is quantity, not quality.  The reverse was true with the early pods.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:23pm
one of the best things about owning a Pod is changing it and  adding your personal touch. Look through all f the past forums and you will find a lot of great ideas about modifications-from easy to harder .  Some other poster said that "the Pod has good bones"-it is great to modify it.

My brother -iin-law said the only reason I bought a Pod was to change it-not entirely true-we love ours and have made it  a lot better for us.  We have traveled over 20,000 miles with the Pod from NC to Calif, Ariz,Fla, NY, Mich. we've used it as long as 6 continuous weeks . Modifying the Pod makes all of the trips easier and better.

Have fun making it your way.

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Robert Lunsford

I noticed when running the furnace on battery, only the floor fan runs, but when plugged in, the roof ac unit runs.  Anyone know if this is normal?  Can you turn it off?   You just have all that fan noise, and cool air blowing on you when standing.

Make sure the fan setting on the thermostat is set to AUTO, not high or low. This should fix the fan problem. The ceiling A/C fan will only run when the A/C is running on shore power.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 10:52pm
Gee, I guess I am lucky as Donna and I have a 2011 RP-172 and it never went back to the dealer for any warranty repairs. The fit and finish was better that most R.V.s I have been in. The Cherry cabinets are better that what is in most peoples houses. no leaks, squeeks, drips, loose screws etc. I guess I got a Tuesday Pod.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 11:03pm
I second that.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 11:19am
Originally posted by CharlieM

Originally posted by Robert Lunsford

Make sure the fan setting on the thermostat is set to AUTO, not high or low. This should fix the fan problem. The ceiling A/C fan will only run when the A/C is running on shore power.

Although using the A/C's fan can help distribute the heat better.
Robert Lunsford View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 7:18am
Thanks, everyone.  Man, I really love the color scheme on the earlier Pods, Doug.  I looked at the new Army green ones, and wondered what they were thinking!

Now, winter question:  Is it possible to set one of these up for winter use?  In tank heaters, wrapped lines, etc?  Someone said the furnace would keep lines and tanks from freezing, but that didn't sound too logical to me going down the road!  I'm in Indiana, and will be traveling south this winter, just wondered if there's solutions other than re-winterizing every time I come home for a few weeks.  Oh, duh, leave the darn thing in the Florida Keys?  LOL

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 11:15am
You would have to enclose the undercarriage and heat it along with heating the interior.  As low as the pods are I don't think enclosing the tanks is possible on-the-road.  During the winter campouts one of the members enclosed the entire underside with panels of insulation to keep it a bit warmer.  So it would be possible in-camp.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>