R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedplugged toilet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: plugged toilet
    Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 9:36pm
So we get to the campsite and find that one of the kids thought it was a good idea to dump paper towel in the toilet. Water seems to pass through easy enough, but not willing to try numero dos.
I had a stick and attempted to push the paper down into the black tank as it was empty. It went down some, but seemingly not all the way. I don't want to push too hard for fear of breaking something.
How can I unclog it? Is there a safe Draino type of chemical for the pod? Any help is appreciated!!
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 10:06pm
If you can't retrieve it I would flush it with water, repeating until the paper breaks down and passes out the drain tube. If you can't pull it back then it has to go out through the drain unless you have access to open up plumbing. I would think continued flushing would eventually break the paper down and then out. The key is to flush it good repeating until it's all out. Make sure you get it all because wet paper that then dries can dry pretty hard and block things up. Do you have something that you can inspect it with to ensure you got all the paper out? A snake camera or maybe a telescoping mirror. If that dosn't work you can try some RV tank treatment specifically designed to break paper down. I'm pretty sure you can get it at Walmart in the sporting/camping section near the special RV toilet paper, etc...good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 10:12pm
This treatment claims to breakdown paper!
http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/RID-X-Citrus-Scent-RV-Toilet-Treatment-24-fl-oz/35702177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 10:31pm
Similar to what was mentioned above, until you can get it out I would fill up the black tank so the water fills up the drain pipe above where the paper is stuck, to ensure it doesn't dry.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 12:14am
Had a recent problem with black tank not completely emptying. Remembered some advice here about putting ice cubes in the toilet. It worked like a charm. The motion moved the ice around and cleared the blockage. Ice turned to water and it all ran out. $3.00.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 8:19am
My problem seems to be that the stuff is floating at the top. I turner off the water pump to open the valve and water and paper was floating there. I can still flush and have water go down, but it is still staying there.
The tank empties, but the display says there is still some in there.
Kinda lost here as I don't know the anatomy of the system.
When you flush, does it just drop straight down into the tank? Is there a curve or valve that opens and closes to keep the smell in the tank?   Something is keeping water up near the toilet, but still allowing other water to pass through. So wierd
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 8:38am
Don't know about the 182 but the 179 has a 45 into the tank. 
No valve other than the one you see in the toilet.
Get your elbow length rubber gloves and pull out what you can- unpleasant job but you do what you gotta do Dead
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 9:00am
Fill up the black tank with water (you can use the shower head to speed this up, or just run a garden hose inside) and add 2-3 bags of crushed ice.  Drive around for 20 minutes to agitate and then dump.

As techntrek has said, don't let the paper towel dry out.  It'll create a near-unremovable cementlike blockage.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 9:11am
You should be able to flush it into the tank, but you will have to work from where the paper entered the system. Flushing via the black tank connection probably won't work. Once you get the lines clear and all of the paper into the tank, I would think you are home free. Does anybody know the size of the pluming from the commode to the tank? I would think it's at least 2.5 to 3". If your at the campsite get a hose with a nozzle and blast the paper into the tank! If its really really stubborn I would think you can use a small plumbers snake to clear it all.  
Good luck!
wingnut2312 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 12:33pm
I fixed it. Grabbed a stick and kept poking at it until it brike up and went through.
Thanks for all of the suggestions!!
2014 rpod 182G
Ford Expedition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>